Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2004, 10:14 PM

Default Cubs Vs Astros in NL Central

Astros whine and no matter how many times they petition Bud Sellig the Cubs will win the NL Central this year. Someone pass Bagwell a kleenex.

Why would they name the baseball team after the dog from the Jetsons?
Old 02-11-2004, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Cubs Vs Astros in NL Central

I can't wait for the Cubs to destroy Roger Clemens. He's in for a hurting at Enron Fie...Err...MinuteMaid Park.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:47 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

you want to put some action on that?
Old 02-12-2004, 01:57 AM

Between the 'stros and the Cards, the Cubs are the least deserving team in the NL Central. I will be very disappointed if they win the pennant.

GoT
Old 02-12-2004, 02:00 AM

I feel the Astros have one of the best pitching staffs ever assembled. They will run away with the NL central this year. The Cubs were a one year fluke, and even then they only won the division by one game. The Astros have something like 4 division titles in the last 8 years. With Clemens and Pettite, we are gonna be a force to be reckoned with in the playoffs. No more first round blowouts.

As Drayton Mclane said, "It's our year."
Old 02-12-2004, 02:02 AM

Yeah, I live next to Wrigley and I bleed Cubbie blue. But, pople picking the Cubs don't know baseball.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:11 AM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

As a long time S'tros fan, I have to say that running away with the central is not likely. Beating the cubbies out, should be pretty easy. I'm not sure what the tribune company does each year but the cubbies just have issues.

The Astros look good on the infield, the starting rotation looks good, but we need a center fielder, and the bullpen is always a mystery. I love Biggio, I have ever since he first put on the old rainbow uni's but he just doesn't cover center like he did when he first moved from catcher.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:41 AM

I'm not sure that picking the Cubs "doesn't know baseball." Are the Astros going to be in it? Of course, but both teams have their own problems to worry about. The Cubs need a 5th starter, have some leadoff and 2nd base issues as far as the lineup goes, plus AGonz (ugh) at short. Patterson needs to be healthy and in his last year form, no small feat. Astros need a healthy Oswalt/pitching staff in general, Biggio to play better than his aging body should and their much weakened bullpen not to blow up. And having been a Cubs fan, the bullpen is so often overlooked it's not even funny. Given that I'm a Cubs fan, I think that having ARam and Lee for the full year are going to be huge differences in the lineup, and Barrett can sorta hit which is more than Damian Miller ever did. Bullpen is better, and if the 5th start/Maddux is resolved and works out, the Cubs can win it. Both teams can win 95-100 games, especially in the Central.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I live next to Wrigley and I bleed Cubbie blue. But, pople picking the Cubs don't know baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch, I think it's obvious you clearly do not bleed Cubbie blue.

As for the Tribune company and the Cubs problems, they have done more this offseason then they have in many years. They've finnaly spent the money to get some more hitting and fielding, and the put another arm in the bullpen (which has been weak, but should be better). I think it's laughable to argue that the Astros have one of the best pitching staffs in the league, especially when your talking about the Cubs/Astros match up. Yes, Houston has won 4 titles (or however many) but they are getting older and older and its the Cubs time now. Biggio, Bagwell, etc. were awesome, but now they are not as feared. It should be a good season.

-nam
Old 02-12-2004, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Between the 'stros and the Cards, the Cubs are the least deserving team in the NL Central. I will be very disappointed if they win the pennant.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how the Cubs are the least deserving. The Cubs won it last year by playing better down the streach than anyone else. The Cards imploded and then threatened to throw games to Houston so the Cubs wouldn't get in. Now there are rumors that the Cards are trying to get rid of players so they can buy Maddox from the Cubs. I'd say that St. Louis is by far the least deserving.

-nam