Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2004, 12:10 AM

Default 2 Hands to Review

HAND 1: Party Poker 3/6

Dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] - I open raise in EMP, only the SB and BB call.

Flop 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB bets, BB folds, I raise, SB reraises, I call

Turn 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]

SB bets, I raise, SB reraises, I call

River 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img][J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]

SB bets, I call

HAND 2: Party Poker 3/6

I'm dealt Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the BB. Two limpers to the SB who raises, I call as does the limpers.

Flop J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB bets, I call, UTG raises, one limper folds, SB calls, I call

Turn J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img][10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]

SB bets, I call, UTG raises, SB calls, I 3 bet, UTG caps, SB folds, I call.

River J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check and call.

Results later.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:17 AM

Default Re: 2 Hands to Review

Hand 1: Looks like the SB flopped a set but I probably would have played it identically. The flop reraise makes it clear you're behind but I have a hard time laying down those two overcards on the flop. Now that I read that, it makes calling the flop 3-bet seem silly.

Hand 2: I'd fold preflop.

Old 02-11-2004, 01:02 PM

Default Re: 2 Hands to Review

Hi bvaughn,

Hand #1: I think how to play out this hand is completley opponent-oriented. Is he the type who will bluff into the pre-Flop raiser? Or is he the type who will bet into the pre-Flop raiser with a pair, but will turn passive when you raise, thus allowing you to buy a free card?

My general line of play in these types of hands may seem weak to you, but I usually call the Flop and fold the Turn unless I improve. Maybe throw in a semi-bluff raise every now and then, especially if I pick up a draw, but lacking a read on my opponent, that is what I do. My default line used to be to raise the Flop, but after awhile I realized that that is only best against specific types of players.

On the Turn, you can't be liking your hand THAT much against a guy who just bet and re-raised the pre-Flop raiser. He's basically saying "I can beat an overpair"; therefore, I am definitely not raising this Turn. Once he re-raises you, I think you definitely need to release your hand unless you are against a total maniac.

Hand #2: The reason I don't like this call pre-Flop that much is that it leaves you sitting right next to the pre-Flop raiser on all the remaining rounds. I don't think that most people on these forums, myself included, lose that much EV by folding it pre-Flop.

On the Flop, well, you got about what I would expect. You Flopped a weak draw, and would like to see the Turn card cheaply. Only problem is, SB is betting right out into you, and it may get raised behind you. You're getting 9:1 immediate odds on your call, and you have about 5 outs (4 gutshot, 1 for the backdoor Flush). So you have to call the Flop, and of course have to call the raise as well.

On the Turn, I am not sure why you wouldn't raise as soon as the SB bets into you. I think it's awfully tricky trying to flat call the bet, hoping that UTG raises so that you can 3-bet. The River is fine. I hope you beat a frisky KJ.

-Brian
Old 02-11-2004, 06:47 PM

Default RESULTS

Hand 1: SB shows 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for the maniacal semi-bluff gutshot draw. I had just sat down at this table, and I did not have a read on him. My raise on the flop was a semi-bluff with overcards and backdoor flush. His re-raise seemed stange for 3/6 as most big hands prefer to flat call and check-raise the turn. When my Ace hit, I thought my hand was good, but his re-raise threw me off, but there wasn't anyway I was going to fold a big pot. I also just wanted to see his cards to get some player notes. I guess it worked out this time, but most often I will lose the hand against normal opponents who flop a set or turn two pair with the Ace.

Hand 2: UTG shows 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for the rivered full house. I was getting 6:1 odds on my call preflop, which I thought were sufficient? I'm not sure. Other than folding preflop, my flat call on the turn with the straight was risky. I don't think a raise would have made the set of 5s fold, but it might have slowed him down and he might now have capped it, therefore saving me 2 bets.

I hope to get some more advice to help me play better. Thanks!