Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2004, 07:07 PM

Default Too timid?

$22 1 table NLHE SNG at Stars, 2nd level. Only my second or third SnG at this level, they seem much tighter and more sensible than the $10, but definately beatable.

I have 1390 T$ opponent has 1500 T$. I get dealt 8d9d in the cutoff. Two limpers to me, I limp, button folds, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop falls T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] DREAM - flopped straight and straight flush draw!

BB bets 90, folded to me, I call. Turn 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hmmm, can think of better cards to fall. BB bets 90, I raise to 360, he calls. OK i think he might have two pair, a set or probably an 8 to tie for a straight, but I'm freerolling for the flush so its all good.

River 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. He bets 450, for some reason I really fear the nut straight and just call.

He shows K T for a pair of tens. Was I too timid on the river, we both had about 600 chips left, should I have set him in?
Old 02-11-2004, 01:51 AM

Default Re: Too timid?

[ QUOTE ]
should I have set him in?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think so.

By my math, you've got T460 left and he has T570. I'm guessing that he will call the extra T460 without an 8 several times for every one time that he will call with exactly J8, which is the only hand that beats you.

I'll take the extra T460 several times in exchange for the very infrequent (IMHO) bustout against J8 because I would assume that getting the extra chips in several tourneys would increase your profit more than a single shot as a T460 short stack.

But I'm not an expert at $EV calculations so consider the price you're paying for this advice... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2004, 06:10 AM

Default Re: Too timid?

I agree, and think I acted too hastily, but I won it in the end, thats 1 first and 1 second now so [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]