Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2004, 05:27 PM

Default Does a raise of your overpair on the flop send you running for cover??

What other warning signs might one be on the lookout for?

Anyway, 2/4 PP with no reads:

I'm in MP3 (Hero) and dealt Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] - Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG Calls
UTG+2 Calls
Hero raises
all fold (late poster, SB, BB included)
UTG & UTG+2 Call

to the Flop for 4-1/4 BBs

9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

UTG Checks
UTG+2 Bets
Hero Raises
UTG Folds
UTG+2 Reraises (Uh-oh!!)
Hero Calls

--------------------

Have I played o.k. so far?? And if not, why?? Helpful, friendly advice please! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-10-2004, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Does a raise of your overpair on the flop send you running for cover??

It depends, but a flush/straight draw could be overplaying here, or perhaps even a 9 or worse who thinks you are weak and will lay down your overcards/overpair. However this is most often a J in a passive 2-4 game.

You played well, as this is a draw laden board and you want to raise here to charge everyone to draw. Generally speaking this is better board for you than a JJ2 rainbow board, where there is no draw that an opponent could be semi-bluffing.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Does a raise of your overpair on the flop send you running for cover??

As it was said before, there are a lot of possibilities. More often then not a bet out or raise after the flop with this board often means that they don't have the trips, but rather a draw (srt8 or flush), a pair of nines or even a total bluff.

It's a matter of how advanced you think your opponent are at this level. ARe they capable of deception or will they push their flopped trips hard?

In this instance I probably go into check and call unless a Q falls on the turn or river.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:16 PM

If he had a J, he'd probably just call your raise on the flop and go for a check-raise on the turn.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what else he could hold. It would be odd to 3-bet with a draw heads up, unless he has a straight draw and a flush draw.

I might cap here and then see if he leads into me on the turn. If he does, and if he's not a maniac, I'm probably beat.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:54 PM

I think you played it fine so far although I think you are behind. I don't think UTG+2 is three-betting a draw out of position (where taking a free card is less likely) unless he has both a str8 and flush draw (something like K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]), in which case it would be a strong play. I also don't think he would three-bet something like A9. You are probably against Jx or possibly 99 and UTG+2 has decided not to slowplay. I would call like you did for one more small bet and see the turn. However, I think this could be a hard hand to play the rest of the way. What do you do if a total blank comes and you are bet into? If neither the straight draw nor flush draw get there I am probably calling down with top pair but fully expecting to pay off. I will be interested to hear what others say on this hand.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he had a J, he'd probably just call your raise on the flop and go for a check-raise on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that a "typical" Party opponent would never do something so straightforward as to fastplay trips, but the presence of a draw-friendly board also makes *his* holding more subject to redraws, thus increasing his incentive to pump the pot. Also, J's are contained in a lot of common limping hands.

So I think that, most likely, he's got the goods. But the other thing to consider what you think your opponent thinks of you. If he's seen you make a couple of big laydowns, you should be more inclined *not* to laydown here, and vice versa.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:05 PM

Default Results

I went to Call mode...

Turn: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] UTG+2 Bets; Hero Calls
River: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] UTG+2 Bets; Hero Calls

UTG+2 turns over A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] for two pair: Js & 7s
Hero's Queens (along with paired Js) hold up to take the pot.

---------------------------------

So what does one learn (make note of) from the UTG+2's actions?? Or is it something I could learn about the way I play?? Thanks...
Old 02-11-2004, 01:15 PM

hit it again and if he caps then it's uh oh...he may be playing the 9 aggressively.

You can always go in to Check call mode but I'm not a big fan of that here. If you do that you have to call down.

If checked to on the turn then you have a decision. I dunno...I bet it last night but I got c/rd for a 2nd time and folded it.