Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2004, 08:34 PM

Default How to handle bad beats at the table

Lets say you are taking sever punishment from players at the table. Rivered a lot, You hold KK and they have A2 and get the ace, and so on. Just one of those nights that lady luck is not gentile.

You know your better than the bad players and they are winning by sheer luck on the river mostly.

Now they start bluffing against you.

What should you do? Move tables, call some hands?

I noticed that when I played at a table and of the 22 flops I saw in 1 hour 14 I got rivered on and then they started bluffing. I tried to call some but I was usually wrong on the bluff catches and just paid them. When they did bluff I didn't catch them.

From this experience I figure move to another table.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:43 PM

Default Re: How to handle bad beats at the table

you saw 22 flops in an hour?

I hope you're exagerating.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Lets say you are taking sever punishment... lady luck is not gentile... of the 22 flops I saw in 1 hour...

[/ QUOTE ]

The Jewish lady luck is severing you because you are seeing too many flops and too many rivers.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:58 PM

It was 2 tables.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:03 PM

How did you know you they were bluffing when you folded? And how strong were the hands you called with?

So to summarize your post you said you called down when you held the worst hand and you folded when you had the best hand. Now you're wondering if you should move tables of call down with crap more often. I think you need to post some hands and study more 2+2. It looks like you just got outplayed by better opponents. Just because someone is loose doesn't mean they don't play well.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:23 PM

I've never really kept track of how many flops I've seen in an hour, but i'm willing to guess that I see somewhere around 22 flops in 1 hour while playing 3 tables on an average night. (Maybe i'm off, but it doesn't sound like THAT many...)
Old 02-09-2004, 09:25 PM

Oooh how about hands like QQ 4 times KK AA, top two pair, trips. They are on a flush draw and get it last card. Does that help. No they sucked. They played Q5 os, or 982 os after I raise with QQ. Through out the night I lost QQ 7 of 8 times in a row to the river. I had real hands that were 90% favorites.

The bluffs I saw becuase there were other players in the pot after I folded and when I see that 5 times they are bluffing me. I had a bad night before so this night I wrote down a lot of information to see if it was me or not. When an idiot reraises you with 75 of spades and then pulls a full house you can't see that when you have a straight. Or another example is me having a full house, top full house and on the last card he gets quads.

So don't tell me it was me. This time it was NOT! All my nights that I had bad beats I could have reduced my losses by playing better. This night the cards were vicious.

8x QQ heads up I lost 7 to the river.
3x KK I lost all to river twice and a secret set of 555.
2x AA I got I won once and lost once to 7755 2 pair.

In 170 flops I saw I got exactly 2 straight, 7 trips, and zero flushes, I missed all the rest and yes I looked at pot odds. I played 25% of the cards shown.

There was one good player at each table and the rest were crap. They played cards I wouldn't even play in the small blind for a dollar.

What do you do when you have a night like this? Obviously you get frustrated and 2nd guessing yourself. People start to bluff with anything. Should you leave or fight it out. I say take a break and find a new table. So I want the expert's opinion on the situation not my play. I know what I did and didn't do.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you do when you have a night like this? Obviously you get frustrated and 2nd guessing yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to stop letting the showdown results change your basic strategy. You shouldn't let how much you've lost in a certain period of time influence your approach to the game.

Your goal is to play each and every hand you're dealt as best as you possibly can. If your play is good enough, you will win money in the long run.

Sure, if you see players bluffing too much, you call with weaker hands than usual. If you see them playing too many weak hands for multiple bets, then raise pre-flop more often.

The biggest mistake you made was thinking that you need to change the way you play.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:46 PM

Thanks, a real answer. I appreciated that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2004, 09:46 PM

Everyone has bad nights/weeks/months but generally my play does not deteriorate to a point where people can easily bluff me with anything. I may call down too much but I'm not folding winners very often. If the people on your table were as bad as you describe I would stay at that table as long as it's running. You want to be sitting at a table where the play is poor. I think you are under the impression that if your opponents would stop playing 7-5o you would make more money and you should move up in limits so theses "lucky guys" go away. Who do you want sitting at your table? People who play tight,agressive, and are tricky...NO...You make your money off the 9999/1000 that 75o doesn't make a full house.

Again I'm telling you...IT'S YOU. YOU are the one calling down when you're beat and YOU are the one folding winners. Everyone has multiple runs of bad luck but once you get more experience you realize it's just part of the game and you can't get upset and start playing poorly.

On a side note....if your stats are correct you are like the luckiest guy ever. You played 170 hands in a hour and played 22. Of that 22 hands you got AA/KK/QQ 13 times. WOW. I rarely get runs like that.