Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2004, 12:45 PM

Default Heated Discussion

If you never call a raise with 4-6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in online NL, you are playing too tight.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Heated Discussion

I agree, but only becaue you said "never" and not "very rarely".

For example, if I hold 6h 4h in the BB and UTG makes a minimum raise and four or five players call, I will call.

Paul
Old 02-09-2004, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For example, if I hold 6h 4h in the BB and UTG makes a minimum raise and four or five players call, I will call.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like limit poker rationale, do you differentiate btwn hands you'll call with in no limit vs. limit.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:20 PM

I basically agree with that statement since sometimes your stack and one other stack involved (e.g. the raiser's) will be over 20x what the raise amount is, in which case you should make such a call occasionally because you have the possibility of a sufficiently large payoff, with good postflop play, to warrant the call, and also so nobody can ever say stuff like "he never calls a preflop raise with low suited 1-gaps."
Old 02-09-2004, 01:23 PM

If you're playing 5/10 NL I completely agree. If you're playing 1/2 NL I disagree. There are some levels where the best opportunity for profit is to simply wait for a big hand and punish your opponents mistakes (Which they make every time they get in a pot).
Old 02-09-2004, 01:54 PM

I think the Huckseed theory of calling raises with this kind of hand is based on your ability to make remarkable reads on your opponent. This seems inherently more difficult in online games vs. live, but if you got that kind of game then more power to you.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:59 PM

I love these type hands, maybe too much! With position and more than me and the raiser in the pot, I almost always call with similar hands. I draw the line however with suited one gaps.
I would rather call a raise with these cards than with AQs or KQs bc like low pocket pairs, if you dont flop a great hand just toss it.
Yesterday I called a $2 raise on a Party $50 table in position with 46c and flop a inside straight flush draw
Flop: 3c 7c Ad
Raiser bet out $5, I called and hit the picture perfect 5d on the turn and took big slick's whole stack (over $60 total).
Even better is the look on their face at the showdown!
Well, I assume its priceless anyways. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Anyways they are fun hands to play in moderation.
FSUPlayer
Old 02-09-2004, 02:00 PM

I don't know anything about Huckseed but if I do occasionally call a raise with this kind of hand online it isn't because I think I'm in the lead. It's because the following conditions apply:

1. The money is very deep compared to the raise.

2. The players are sophisticated enough so that mixing up play is required.

3. I feel that if the flop comes to my advantage then I may be able to get paid off big. (ie. if my opponent has AA and the flop is 8-7-5).
Old 02-09-2004, 02:10 PM

Default huck seed theory?

where is this huck seed theory posted? huck is a good player but it sounds like doyles theory to me. and whos talking about calling with this hand, didnt the post say raising? and yes you should be raising with this hand in certain situations but then again yu should be raising with 94o in certain situations.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:37 PM

to me this is a question of stack size. the problem is in these max buyin NL games, the money is rarely deep enough to make this a profitable call.

in a very deep PL NL game, I think calling raises with a hand like this is fine. the problem is that it's rare for you and your opponent to be deep enough online to make this a worthwhile venture.

also, you have to ask yourself if the raiser is going to pay you off if you hit. not everyone is going to put their whole stack in with top pair if they hit and you happen to suck out.

--turnipmonster