Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2004, 05:15 AM

Default AK SOOOTED NL hand

Pokerstars $.50 - $1.00 hand. Pretty tight table with some occasional flurries of action. I'm only paying as much attention as the vodka will let me.

I have $125. and open for a raise to $4 with AKsuited. Folded to a LP player who goes allin for $30.

Now dammit, maybe I have the best hand, maybe I don't, maybe its a coin flip, maybe not. But I hate getting pushed around like this, especially from a short stack who can't do too much damage. But I'm gonna look pretty stupid when he shows me his AA if I call. . .

Anybody call here, or everybody puss out like I did?

Old 02-09-2004, 05:18 AM

Default Re: AK SOOOTED NL hand

[ QUOTE ]
I'm only paying as much attention as the vodka will let me.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm drinking and playing online, this is an auto-call for me.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:29 AM

If he has AA, he's mismanaging it. With so little money in the pot and so much folding, going all-in with AA or KK doesn't seem like a good idea unless he's sure you'll call. I think you're coin-flipping against a middling large pocket pair or facing another AK.

SpaceAce
Old 02-09-2004, 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm only paying as much attention as the vodka will let me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I'm drinking and playing online, this is an auto-call for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two caveats, I have yet to announce to the table that I am a bit drinky, and I have so far been showing down solid hands so my raise is probably semi-respected
Old 02-09-2004, 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Two caveats, I have yet to announce to the table that I am a bit drinky, and I have so far been showing down solid hands so my raise is probably semi-respected

[/ QUOTE ]

If I'm drinking, I don't really care what the table thinks of me or what they have. I HAVE AK SOOTED, BABY!

Of course, that's why I've decided playing online while drunk isn't that great an idea.

As for the actual hand, for $26 here, I don't think it matters all that much. Folding is easy and can't be wrong. Calling is probably a little worse, but it's fun when he is bluffing w/ crap or when you snap off his pair.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Of course, that's why I've decided playing online while drunk isn't that great an idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

As much as I've respected your advice in the past, I have to disagree with you here. I might go as far as saying your "Theories" here are irresponsible.

My drinking tonight has allowed Dogsballs to buy his girlfriend a nice dinner tomorrow, as well as many lesser gifts to lesser known players. This is a service that should not be discounted.

Old 02-09-2004, 06:08 AM

. . . that still doesn't say if you're calling or folding here. . .

I think maybe there is some image advantage to calling here, showing that you're not going to be pushed around.

Old 02-09-2004, 06:44 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if you call and found AQ or AJ, small stacks like to make that move depending on the player.

danny
Old 02-09-2004, 07:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My drinking tonight has allowed Dogsballs to buy his girlfriend a nice dinner tomorrow, as well as many lesser gifts to lesser known players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said! LOL!
Old 02-09-2004, 10:19 AM

For me this is an automatic call. I have see way too many kj's make this move, and if you are wrong he cant hurt you more. Also, most online players seem to think that slowplaying big pairs is the way to go, so the this raise from most means no AA or KK.

One reason to fold would be if you know your player very well, but from reading this it didnt sound like it.