Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2004, 02:54 AM

Default Reload bonus == FishyStars

Hi All,

I may stop playing at Stars for a few weeks. The bonus whores have shown up in droves, and frankly it's not even worth playing right now. Some sample hands:

$33 two-table SNG: 5th hand, three players all-in pre-flop: T6o, J6o, A2o. T6 won it.

$33 two-table SNG: Blinds 25/50, four players all-in pre-flop: AKs, J8o, 65s, K4o. A 6 falls and 65s takes it down.

$33 two-table SNG: Blinds 50/100, two players all-in a raised pot on a Q-8-3 flop. The pre-flop raiser had Q3o. Caller had 83o.

In a ridiculous game like this, the only "correct" strategy is to play premium hands only, but in a Stars two-table SNG that's a recipe for being short-stacked and gone by 10th or 12th place unless the deck runs over you early. It didn't, and I hung around until I was down to 8-9xBB ... pushed in on the first decent stealing hand I had, and was called by a dominating hand from the BB every time: JT vs. KJ, KT vs. AT, K9 vs. AK.

Oh well.

Cris
Old 02-09-2004, 03:36 AM

Default Re: Reload bonus == FishyStars

I wish I could play against people like this.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:45 AM

Default attn: William

William is going to love this post.

Old 02-09-2004, 05:14 AM

Yeah, quit playing poker against these players immediately. I can not think of any style of play that could possibly work against them in the long run.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2004, 05:45 AM

What are you saying! lol This is a joke.. right?
haha..!!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I hope you are joking.. i mean.. that are the people we are looking for! I would even be happy to pay the double or tripple tourney fee if i always get that kind off player to play against!

Take care.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:26 AM

Default Re: attn: William

Trying to stir up trouble, Jedi?
Old 02-09-2004, 06:33 AM

Hey Cris,

First, no offence, but I have to agree with the other posters about this. It looks like a very very soft SNG enviroment, one should really like playing against.

Second, I must say I don't see anything resembling this at the 22$ SNGs I play on Stars. Sometimes there are 100% left at 5th level. So maybe there's something going on at the 33$?

BTW, I think I know this Q3o preflop raiser. He played against me once and mini-raised with Q3o on the button after 3 limpers. One of the most bizzare moves I've seen. I think he's playing a different game of poker, though I'm not sure which. Maybe high-low something?

GL,
PrayingMantis
Old 02-09-2004, 08:04 AM

It is my fondest hope that you are kidding with this post.

Old 02-09-2004, 08:33 AM

Cris,

This is said in all seriousness and I am sorry that I am writing it. I just went over a few more posts of yours and I see a very serious flaw in your game. I do not propose that I am a great or even very good player. I am new and learning. However, one thing that I have learned is that you must adjust your game to fit the situation. It is obvious that you have a problem being creative. You seem to be an excellent player when everyone is playing predictable ABC poker but if the game breaks down or if you land at a table consisting of erratic players your play suffers.

You even advised a new player in another thread to leave a game because it was "too fishy". What kind of advice is that? Is it because you lack the patience to wait for and play the premium hands that are necessary to beat games of this type. Or do you fear that your style of play consisting of "run em out with big bets" does not lend itself to playing against the fish who don't know any better other than to call you and expose your overbet with less than best?

I have tried to refrain from attacking you on this forum because I think you have a lot of good ABC strategy to share. However, I think by putting threads such as this on the forum you are doing a great disservice to those who think that they can learn from you and who respect your opinion. This is my opinion simply because I was one of those people.

I am not sure why you choose to share such obviously wrong advice. I can't believe that you really think that you are correct. I can only assume that there are other motives.

Having watched your play in a few 2+2 SNG's, and by putting that together with what you have posted on the forum, I have come to these conclusions. When you have been beaten you have inevitably bet big, been called and shot down. Generally from someone with a bit more imagination and creativity. Someone using what you have called "a fishy play" in more than one post after the fact.

I am sorry, I realize that this comes across as a flame post. It really is not my intention to flame you. It IS my intention to let the newbies know that posts like the above are not the opinion of most of our members. Most of us feel a little obligation to our "Newbie" members. We really should be here in part to nurture them as players. We will certainly take their money at the tables. But in here, we should be their guides and mentors. Advice such as yours is not good for them and certainly not good for poker. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2004, 08:34 AM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob
Default Re: attn: William

William is going to love this post.

How could you guess.
I love this bonus periods. I make 3 times my normal earnings plus the 120$ bonus wich is cleared in 2 days.

I too played some SNGs yesterday:
3 x 50$ : 2 first/1 out of the money
3 x 30$ : 1 first/1 second/1 out of the money

Oh well, I guess I was lucky. Cards run over me.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]