Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2004, 01:58 PM

Default A tournament hand to discuss

Total number of players : 2
Seat 1: B_Dids (3920)
Seat 7: samo1 (4080)
samo1 posts small blind (150)
B_Dids posts big blind (300)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to B_Dids [ K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
samo1 raises (450) to 600
B_Dids calls (300)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
B_Dids bets (300)
samo1 raises (600) to 600
B_Dids calls (300)

(Was this a bad call? pair of 4s, and the person I was heads up with had spent a lot of time trying to push people around with his stack)

** Dealing Turn ** : [ 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
B_Dids checks.
samo1 bets (2880)
samo1 calls all-In.
B_Dids calls (2720)
B_Dids calls all-In.

(My thought here was that "I've got all their chips in the pot, a pair, and if I hit that flush, there's a very good chance I win. Plus they've made a bet like this a few times, trying to buy a pot. Is this a decent move I made?)

** Dealing River ** : [ 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]

Turns out the other guy had [ 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ] so I was ahead in the hand.

I win, take him down the next hand. Tournament over.

So, was this a decent move on my part- or a bad risk that paid off?
Old 02-08-2004, 03:29 PM

Default Re: A tournament hand to discuss

Hi B_Dids

I like this call in this case and would have raised all in myself given your characterization of your opponent. You had evidence that this player would make a play like this, plus you have a pair with a strong overcard (any K should be good, any 4) and a near nut flush draw. Of course, your opponent may have an A. I would consider that, consider my opponents history, and go after em!

Pitcher
Old 02-09-2004, 09:40 AM

I am going to disagree here. Not too severely as a case can be made for what you did but disagree nonetheless.

Preflop...Basically dead even in chips and blinds are not a factor. You are holding a bad suited K. Fold

Post flop... you now have low pair and are betting and then calling a significant reraise...FOLD

Turn...You have low pair and a 4 flush and you are calling an all in bet on a draw...FOLD.

River...lucky card hits. You win.

IMO the only benefit that came out of the play in this hand is that your opponent played it worse than you. Sorry if this seems harsh. The answer to your original question is...

You got lucky. That's why they call it gambling. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 02-09-2004, 10:36 AM

FWIW, I think you underestimating the read I had on my opponnent. Also, this is heads up, final two, do you really fold that king?
Old 02-09-2004, 11:18 AM

We all like affirmation that any action was take is correct. I happen to disagree is all. I would expect you to defend your play. That is fine. As I said, a case can be made for what you did. Given the set of circumstances, it is my opinion that you overplayed your hand and overestimated your read on your opponent. My opinion only but I am being contrary today for some reason. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2004, 11:35 AM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob

I am being contrary today for some reason.

I think that might be because you had to admit earlier that the King has been right all the way [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2004, 11:47 AM

I understand you criticism of the post-flop play. I'm more interested in your suggestion that I fold the king. I'm an admitted notive, but shorted handed- shouldn't you play Kx?
Old 02-09-2004, 11:52 AM

I gotta say it William. Damn this hurts... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Yup.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:56 AM

I am going to disagree here with you StageMusic, regarding his preflop decision. Heads up, against a minimum raise, you have to defend your blind...maybe that means popping him back with a reraise if his read is, in fact, that good, but I don't think you can fold this here. If you are going to fold Kxs to any min raise...then I want you at my table. What hands would you defend with?

As for the post flop play, I'm not sure what I would have done on the flop. I've got a pair, which is often good enough heads up, but with an A on the board I'd be a little nervous...don't honestly know what I'd do there. I think it's 50/50...

[ QUOTE ]
You got lucky. That's why they call it gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was ahead in the hand the whole way...luck had nuttin to do with it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 02-09-2004, 12:00 PM

As I said, pre flop a case can be made for the call. Given that this is Party (based upon chip count) and you don't mention the level but I will assume a 5 or 10 dollar SNG, I have no real problem with that. I have called with much less. Facing a minimal raise, a call isn't that bad an idea with a suited K. However, if you are asking if any Kx would do, the answer is no. Shorthanded is different than HU however.