Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2004, 05:54 PM

Default An overcard and a gutshot

This is a hypothetical hand, but it simulates a situation I've run into several times recently, and I'd be interested in others' thoughts on the matter.

A NLHE multi-table tourney, 350 starters, 250 left, blinds at 25/50, I am in EP. And let's say all involved players have somewhere around an average stack, 2000 or so.

I am dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I raise to 150, MP and Button call.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check, MP bets 300, EP folds.

What do I do?

I have mostly folded in such situations, thinking I'm behind a pair, but I'm beginning to wonder if an overcard plus a gutshot is enough to draw with. It seems to me that the implied odds for the straight are good, if I hit it, and an A still gives me a shot at the best hand.

However, I fear that the Turn will cost me considerably more than 300, and if the A comes and it doesn't give me the best hand, I will lose a big pot.

So I am in a bit of a quandry here, and could use the benifit of second, third, and fourth opinions.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2004, 06:07 PM

Default Re: An overcard and a gutshot

Make the blinds 25/50 and the bets make sense [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Folding here is fine. It's hard not to put him on a K since there's still one player left to act behind him.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:16 PM

Done, by edit.

And thanks, that is what I meant.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:23 PM

I think here you usually need to fold, unless you know the opponent might bet out with nothing in these situations, in which case I would call if money was deep, and raise all-in if money was shallow.

The problem here though, is that your ace out could very easily not be clean, and if it isn't, this stands to lose you a lot of chips. Given how high the cards are, your opponent could easily hold A-T, J-Q, K-10 (or some opponents, even A-5). This will of course be somewhat made up for that when you hit your straight, it may well give your opponent two pair.

I'd rather be in a position where I hold, say J-T on an 7-8-2 flop. I feel a lot better about my outs then...
Old 02-03-2004, 08:35 PM

My general opinion here is to fold. I aint into drawing in tourneys unless I am getting way the best of it, which you clearly aint here. Even if you had the implied odds to draw to the gutshot, you're still a big dog to hit.

al
Old 02-03-2004, 10:03 PM

I think if you are considering a call after seeing this flop then I would actually bet into this flop as opposed to check/calling. I have taken pot like this by betting from early position representing a King.

I think its an easy fold to a reraise but may be your best shot at taking the pot right there. And seeing the turn which may hit one of your outs.

Maybe too aggressive but I would hate to have to lay this down.

Hotrod