Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2004, 11:06 AM

Default Poker Goals Pt. 2

Hi All,

How about this for a one-year poker goal:

500 x $109 two-table SNGs played, 200 (40%) money finishes, with a roughly even split (i.e.: 50 x 1st, 50 x 2nd, etc.).

That's two SNGs per day, five days a week, 50 weeks of the year, with two weeks vacation (read: tilt recovery time). With an average $450 prize per money finish, that would be net winnings (less buy-ins) of $35,500, or averaging about $750/week, for 15-20 hrs/week of play. In terms of risk, I need at least 25% money finishes to break even. My current bankroll is 25 buy-ins.

That would be an excellent second job. Can I do it? Should I try it?

Comments? Anyone else want to take a stab at setting out a very specific goal?

Cris
Old 02-02-2004, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Poker Goals Pt. 2

Not a bad 2nd job. Very similar to my goal. Just need to build my bankroll to the point where I have enough for $50's.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:57 AM

Cris,

Excellent plan. You are probably already doing close to that so I can't think of a reason why not. I am doing approximately the same thing with a lower limit so my goal is a little over 10K for 6 months...Good luck. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2004, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Should I try it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? Sounds like you're going to try to play these tournaments anyway. I think if you stick to your current scheme of dropping down when you run bad, etc., you might not manage 500 $109 tournaments but you'll have a better chance of protecting your bankroll. It would be a bad idea to keep playing outside your bankroll just to keep the experiment/plan rolling.

I have a question which may be a little sensitive. Please don't take this the wrong way, and of course you are free to remain silent on the issue. Here goes.

I am curious about your $2.5k bankroll. You have often spoken about aiming for a 60% in-the-money rate and I think you mentioned a 30/15/25/20 payout ratio (i.e. 30% 1sts, when you place at all, etc.) This equates to roughly 140% ROI, so to make $2500 profit you'd need to wager something like $1800. That's not many tournaments at the $30 level and above, even for a four month period, which I think is how long you've been focussing on these things.

So my question is... have you been spending you bankroll, or achieving significantly less than your goal of 60% win rate, or suffering a bit since you started playing the $100 level, or just not playing very much, or a combination?

I only ask because I have the impression that you do very well in these things, so I am a little surprised that you only have $2.5k to play with.
Please excuse me for prying!

Guy.

Old 02-02-2004, 01:26 PM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob

so I am a little surprised that you only have $2.5k to play with.

Now that it is mentionned, you said in the "humble pie" thread that you have been playing for a year , were down a thousand and now have a bankroll of 2500.
Does that means you are up 1500 for a year or that you have withdrawn substantial wins and keep 2500 as your bankroll.

I hope is the later, because 1500 profit in a year is nothing to be proud of, specialy if you like playing 100$ SNGs

Take care,
William
Old 02-02-2004, 02:33 PM

Hi William,

I started playing money games at UB in May, and lost a total of $1000 by September when I decided to stop. I deposited $175 in PokerStars in October, and started with $11 SNGs, working my way up as I built my bankroll. I've been hovering around $2500 all through January, as I didn't play all that often (work, etc.) or all that well (again, work, etc.)

No, $1500 is not a good profit for a year. On the other hand, it's not bad to be ahead after my first year.

Cris
Old 02-02-2004, 02:51 PM

Location: Wonderful Copenhagen, home of The Feared Danish Mob

Cris,

I totally agree with you that is not bad to be ahead after your first year.
My mistake though, I was under the impression (all the writing about the 100$ SNGs and all the advanced advice to other players) that you were an experienced long time winner.

I, of course wish you good luck with the kamikaze 100$ SNG adventure, but I honestly don't think is realistic.

BTW, you probably want to review your theory about pot odds in NL tourneys, pot odds or not, it's normally wrong to chase and risk to bust out.
Just my opinion as a poker pro making a little more a week than you make in a year [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Take care,
William
Old 02-02-2004, 02:58 PM

Okay, William, I get the point.

I will hereby refrain from giving "advanced advice" until I make as much money as you do, and defer to your wisdom in all things. You've been subtly beating this horse for three weeks now, so enough already.

I'm done posting.

I apologize for having a brain. And a keyboard.

Cris
Old 02-02-2004, 03:38 PM

BTW, you probably want to review your theory about pot odds in NL tourneys, pot odds or not, it's normally wrong to chase and risk to bust out.

I agree that one needs a bigger overlay from pot odds in a tourney than in a cash game, but IMO if you're playing 500 SNG's per year, ignoring solidly +EV situations just because there's a risk of busing out is sub-optimal play.

I, of course wish you good luck with the kamikaze 100$ SNG adventure, but I honestly don't think is realistic.

Differences of opinion are, as they say, what make horse races. As far as I'm concerned, anybody who thinks as analytically about their play as Cris does about hers has a fairly small risk-of-ruin by starting out with 25 buy-ins and an adequate drop-down strategy.

Turn down the attitude. The tone of your post was entirely out of line.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:06 PM

Cris,

I hope you don't quit posting advice. The more posters the merrier. We all have our own point of views based on our experiences.

If only Moneymaker was allowed to give advice because he was the only person who won $2 million +, the 2+2 boards would be bad.

Keep on posting. And I hope you try your goal and that you are successful!

Ken Poklitar