Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2004, 06:27 PM

Default 1010 on the bb

Hi. Im new to 2+2 and happy to find a forum with its own sng thread...

Let us say we are in level 2 and every 1 is avg stack. Never happens but what the heck. We have 5 limpers and we have 1010 in the BB. What to do? I think were giving up the hand by just checking. It is highly likely you have the best hand and I think betting 3/2 the pot would get us heads up. If we have more than 2 callers we just hope for undercards on the flop and then go all in, otherwise we need to think about folding against signs of life.

I find these situations are key to a winning sng strategy and people miss out on big pots. You will end up paying about as much by check calling so why not the big pre-flop raise to clear things up. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

LET EM BLEED!
Old 01-29-2004, 12:53 AM

Default Re: 1010 on the bb

Hi bleed,

This is definitely a place where I play TT for set value rather than for pair value. With this many limpers in the pot, I'm going to get callers regardless, and TT isn't a hand I like to play multi-way in a raised pot. If I hit a 10, I'm golden. Otherwise, I'm gone for only the cost of the big blind.

Cris
Old 01-29-2004, 01:27 AM

perhaps i should mention this scenario is a 100 oe 200 table. Now with an over pot raise you will most likely fold the k10 a9 limpers. then your probably up aginst a aq or aj maybe even lower pair. if the flop is clear of overcards you go all in. if there are overcards you simply test the waters. i think this play works more often than not. most of the time you take down the pot right there believe it or not.
Old 01-29-2004, 01:36 AM

Hi bleed,

I don't usually see five limpers in a $109 or $215 SNG. They tend to play tighter than that, as least on Stars. On the other hand, at a $109 or $215, anyone who calls that raise will either be ahead of you or only a narrow underdog getting great pot odds to call with overcards.

I don't like to make it easy for my opponents to make the right play, so again, I'd check and play it for set value.

Cris
Old 01-29-2004, 02:34 AM

i play prima and party and there often is this many limpers in the 1st levels. I think this is the correct strategy as well. i always limp early with hands like 85s or kxs.