Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2004, 02:28 AM

Default Easiest sit and gos on Poker Stars

i just started playing online and generally play $10 sit and gos NL HE on poker stars, where the competition sucks and the only time i lose is against bullshit calls or bad beats. the $20 is significantly tougher...what are the best games and times...i was doing some investigating, and the $30 SnG after dinner time seemed pretty easy.

any thoughts?
Old 01-27-2004, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Easiest sit and gos on Poker Stars

the only time i lose is against bullshit calls or bad beats.

So what you're saying is you *never* make mistakes. No bad reads, *always* get your money in with the best of it.

So if you have QQ against AK and your opponent hits his hand, which is that? A bulls**t call or a bad beat? Or vice versa. You push in with AKs and get called by JJ, if you don't improve, where does that fit in?

any thoughts?

Yeah, Mr. 4 posts. You come in with a bulls**t satement like the above, you start with precisely zero credibility.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:38 AM

Hiya Kurn,

[ QUOTE ]
So if you have QQ against AK and your opponent hits his hand, which is that? A bulls**t call or a bad beat? Or vice versa. You push in with AKs and get called by JJ, if you don't improve, where does that fit in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Or what if there's a 3xBB raise and two callers, giving the BB 9:2 pot odds to call with 86o, and the BB catches an 8-6-2 flop to bust wannabe's AKs. Is that also a bovine excrement call?

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Mr. 4 posts. You come in with a bulls**t satement like the above, you start with precisely zero credibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

Cris
Old 01-27-2004, 12:03 PM

I find the $20 level the easiest to beat. The mistakes the players make there coincide with the mistakes my playing style best exploits: they fold too much, at least at the times I play (afternoons/evenings GMT).

At the weekend, $30 is the level for me. The $20 players are looser then.

Understand that at the $10 level your opponents will call more than they should, so you need to adjust your play accordingly. I am bad at this.
Don't blame luck for losing against overly loose players. Change your approach, or find a different game.

Guy.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:09 PM

Default Don\'t anger the \'poker gods\'

I, like a lot of people, read the forums on this site for years before I ever decided to make a post. This kind of thread is exactly why.

This person is not asking for your approval, or trying to prove his credibility. Credibility for what? Ability to beat a $10 sng?

Or do you mean credibility for NEVER losing except on bad calls and bad beats? I didn't get a sense that this was an 100% matter-of-fact claim so much as a feeling about the low limit Sngs. My credibility be damned, but I often get that same feeling, however strictly innacurate it must be.

This person was asking a question.

I play almost all my sngs at party and don't have the answer he wants. I'd wager you two might though. I'd also wager that it would have taken less time and energy from both you to just answer him, instead of berating a statement made too flippantly. Even your beratement has an educating value - I see that, but try tact next time if that is your intent.

If it is just a little internet clique that you want... well, good job.

I only have about 20 or 30 posts myself, so excuse me. I'll take any bet you want that there are a few world champs who have even less.

Geez.
Brad S

-As far as Partypoker is concerned, my stats show a higher win rate later in the evening. This is in almost direct correlation with the higher number of players online, so I'd suspect that the same is true of Stars. I'd just pick the times when the most players are playing.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Don\'t anger the \'poker gods\'

This person was asking a question.

Then he didn't need to to make such an off the wall comment.

I only have about 20 or 30 posts myself, so excuse me. I'll take any bet you want that there are a few world champs who have even less.

Point taken.

I, like a lot of people, read the forums on this site for years before I ever decided to make a post. This kind of thread is exactly why.

Let's be clear. Neither Cris nor I was berating him for his play, just his attitude. Maybe the replies were too harsh, but poker itself is a lot more harsh than anything any of us will ever have to face on this board.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Don\'t anger the \'poker gods\'

Hi Brad,

I'm sorry I upset you. That wasn't my intent. Rather, my intent was to show that sometimes a seemingly excremental call -- in terms of a hand comparison -- can be the correct move. A lot of times, a "bad" call isn't as bad as it may appear at first glance.

Cris
Old 01-27-2004, 12:36 PM

Hi wannabe,

I really can't say what are the "easiest" SNGs at Stars. I think it depends on your playing style and bankroll. Yes, there tends to be a lot of loose play in the $11 and $22 SNGs, and if you can adjust your play accordingly, they are very beatable. The $33 SNGs are a transition level; you'll see a lot of the same fish from the $11 and $22 levels, but also stronger players who can't get a $55 or $109 to fill. (I find myself playing a lot of $33s for that reason.) At the $55 and $109 buy-ins, the play is much tighter, but at times to the point of weak-tight, so aggressive play at the right spots can pick up enough pots to keep you around even if you're catching trash cards. And there are still enough fish to make it profitable. At the $215 SNGs, though, there just isn't enough dead money (for me) to make it profitable. Why play 15 other strong players to split two dead buy-ins?

Cris
Old 01-27-2004, 12:56 PM

I finally got tired of the $11/$22 and started playing the $33/$55 tables. I was shocked at the bad play of my 1st 2 $55 tables.

Ken Poklitar
Old 01-27-2004, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... $10 sit and gos NL HE on poker stars, where the competition sucks ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a $5 SNG player. I also venture into the $10’s. I play 94% of my time at the $5/$10 SNG level!

I have now come to the realization that I suck. Thank you opening my eyes!

Here's what you should do ... track your next 1000 tournaments (at what ever level). Let me know how you placing % … 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or worse. Money in, net profit/loss. That will answer your own question without insulting anyone.

Next … why would you move up a level when, in your opinion, “the competition sucks.” If I am you, then I sit at those suck tables like it’s my job.

Vinny

P.S. Looking for to playing against you! Do you have the same name at PS as you do here?