Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2004, 12:33 AM

Default QQ UTG and on the bubble

Hi All,

Situation: $33 two-table SNG on PokerStars. Blinds are 100/200 with 25 antes. Five players left (top four pay) and I'm the chip leader with ~11,500, having rebuilt my stack after I called an all-in reraise with TT only to find my opponent had AA. Now I'm UTG with QQ. I make it 600. Button moves all-in for ~1900. SB moves all-in for ~4500.

Reads: Button is a solid player and has come back from ~350 after I flopped a set on 22 to his top pair on QJ. But he's short-stacked and I figure he has to move in on any decent hand. SB has been very tight-aggressive at the final table; he hasn't played many pots, but has pushed all-in on every pot he's played.

What do you do?

Results in white text below:

<font color="white"> I called time and used almost half my time bank mulling this over. I wasn't worried about the button as he was short-stacked and had to move. I was worried about the SB, but I reasoned he'd moved in on every hand he had played, so this wasn't an automatic AA or KK read. I called. Button had KTs; SB had TT. My QQ held up, and I busted both of them to take a dominating lead and coasted to a win. </font>

Cris
Old 01-27-2004, 09:29 AM

Default Re: QQ UTG and on the bubble

In your position you have to ask, would the SB make this isolation play against the big stack with TT? Remember, you raised first and the button's reraise could easily be a middle pair. To me, this is close between calling and folding. Forced to make a decision, I might choose to keep my 10,900 and see what transpires.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:30 AM

Hiya Kurn,

[ QUOTE ]
In your position you have to ask, would the SB make this isolation play against the big stack with TT?

[/ QUOTE ]

As it turns out, that's exactly what he had. But I was thinking the same thing: this smells a whole lot like AA, KK, or AK.

[ QUOTE ]
To me, this is close between calling and folding. Forced to make a decision, I might choose to keep my 10,900 and see what transpires.

[/ QUOTE ]

I very nearly did exactly that. The deciding factor was that the SB had pushed in with every hand he'd played at the final table, so I really couldn't pin this down to a monster hand isolation play. But for that, I'd have folded.

Cris
Old 01-27-2004, 12:16 PM

Being 5 handed and with your stack I call. With a 5k stack I think it is a tougher choice.

Ken Poklitar
Old 02-10-2004, 09:05 AM

Fold.