Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2004, 12:15 AM

Default Player claims he\'s still owed $37.5K on online Marlins bet

Here is a link to an article from gambling911.com about a dispute with the online sports-betting site Intertops.

Apparently, in July 2003 a player bet $1,100 on the Marlins to win the World Series, at odds of 125-to-1. When the Marlins won, Intertops credited the player's account with $138,600 (126 times $1,100). Then, apparently, Intertops realized they had a rule that a player was not allowed to win more than $100,000 in a week, so they took back the excess over $101,100. The player claims he is still owed $37,500.

The player's argument, I imagine, is that first of all he never received proper notice of the $100,000 cap on winnings, and second, they should never have accepted his bet of $1,100 at 125-to-1 odds if it was against their rules to pay it out. They should have told him that the maximum he could bet was $800.

A press release issued by Intertops in October 2003 states that the player "won an amazing USD 100,000 when the Marlins defeated the Yankees on Saturday".

Presumably the matter will be decided by Antigua and Barbuda's Directorate of Offshore Gaming. It will be interesting to see whether the regulatory body supports the player or its licensee.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Player claims he\'s still owed $37.5K on online Marlins bet

they definitly should honor the bet. The site needs to monitor bet size so it doesn't break their own rules. I highly doubt they refund the difference if Steve fuckin Bartman gets out of the way or if Alex Gonzalez hadn't made his first error in a monthh.
I do wonder, though, if the 100 k rule is in the agreement you have to read when you sign up. Good info MBE. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I highly doubt they refund the difference if Steve fuckin Bartman gets out of the way or if Alex Gonzalez hadn't made his first error in a monthh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks....i almost had forgotten about that nightmare of a game [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2004, 04:12 AM

If he lost do you think they would have given him 300 back....I THINK NOT!
If he can get enough bad press rolling I think he can get his money but if not I think he's screwed.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:18 AM

The article said the player had hired a lawyer but didn't specify who the lawyer was, or whether the lawyer practised in the U.S. or in Antigua (or both).

I would assume that the player will fight the matter out before the Antiguan regulatory authority, rather than commencing an action in court.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Florida Marlins weren’t everybody’s choice for the World Series title at the start of the season, but Jason L. from Coral Springs had a nose for the right team and won an amazing USD 100,000 when the Marlins defeated the Yankees on Saturday.

When contacted by the Intertops.com Team Jason was already celebrating with his friends and told us he “ never had a doubt that the Marlins would lose ”.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess he bet with his heart, not his head.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:21 PM

I highly doubt they refund the difference if Steve fuckin Bartman gets out of the way or if Alex Gonzalez hadn't made his first error in a monthh.

Get over it. That Bartman guy didn't do anything wrong.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:44 PM

right.. the guy is a fan at the game, cut him a break. why don't you fault the actual major league baseball players who cost the cubs the game?
Old 01-28-2004, 02:32 PM

I agree, very -EV.. He put a beat on the site with his rags, now they don't want to pay.

Old 01-29-2004, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The maximum dollar amount that may be won by an individual customer, syndicate or partners per bet is one hundred thousand (100,000.00) dollars U.S. currency or the equivalent in the currency of your Intertops.com betting account.

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't read the fine print, placed a bet that was too large and then got paid according to the schedule he agreed to when he signed up. I don't have a lot of sympathy.