Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2004, 09:20 PM

Default First 100 NLHE 10+1: exactly even

Well, this isn't exactly good news, but amusingly I came out exactly even after 100, which I guess means I am slightly better than my opps, but not enough so to beat the vig. Let's hope I learned something. On to another 100. I do realize the statistical insignificance of this result.

With only 5 wins, clearly I need to close the deal more often.

1: 5
2: 19
3: 14
4: 12
5: 13
6: 12
7: 15
8: 3
9: 3
10: 4

Old 01-26-2004, 01:21 PM

Default Re: First 100 NLHE 10+1: exactly even

Your numbers seem a good start except for the first second problem. I don't think one hundred tourneys is completely insiginificant.

In my opinion there are only two reasons you could have a 21% win rate heads up:

1. extremely bad luck

2. you are not aggressive enough heads up.

Assuming you had about equal chips, you should be able to win about 40% by going all in each hand.

This is of course not the ideal strategy but the point is (especially with big blinds) you can't wait for premium or even semi premium hands. You need to play almost any hand, and play strongly (or try to trap) anytime you hit any of the flop.

CrisBrown made a recent post about here heads up strategy that is worth reading.

These are my two cents so take them for what they are worth.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:20 PM

In stupid party sng's, where the blinds are like 300/600 and you have 8000 chips between the two of you heads up, I usually like to just raise all in with any face card, any pair, and any suited connector, and call an all in with any ace, any decent king, and any pair (the exception is if my opponent doesn't raise all in very often). If I have a really big hand or a really crap hand, I just call and try to flop something (even bottom pair is good enough to bet big), or try to trap my opponent into going all in. I always seem to get my share of wins, but I seem to get 3rd or 4th a lot too. I don't get a lot of 2nd place finishes for some reason, so I guess I do pretty well heads-up. I just need to be more aggressive when it is down to 4. Then again, party sng players love to make those big calls and gamble, so it's tough to be aggressive sometimes.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:37 PM

This is why I like Stars SnG's so much better and won't play at Party anymore. I think most of my winnings come from the fact that I win a lot more often than finish 2nd or 3rd. With 13,500 chips in play as opposed to 8,000 there is more room to play and the luck factor is reduced. Plus trying to get a seat in a Party SnG can be such a hassle that I just gave up playing there.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:44 PM

As said above u need to improve at the heads up situationsand and develop a good stratagie. But one other point that may help increase profit is "patients" that is when there is 4 or 5 people left try to last to get into the money. ie dont take close gambles when there are people left with lower stacks than u.espically when there are only 4 left as small stack is making money just watching u play.

Also if u have a significant chip lead when 4 or five players left. let them fight it out try not get involved too much untill ur in the money then get aggressive.