Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2004, 01:41 PM

Default Player and railbird didn\'t like this

Well, the car's in the shop so I'm not at work this morning. 2-table 20's on 'Stars aren't filling so I jump into a $10.

We're down to 8 players, blinds are 100/200/a25 about 2 minutes until the blinds double. I'm in 3rd right now with 4035 before posting my ante.

Folded to me in the CO with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and I make it 700 to go.

Button hesitates and goes all-in for 1290, blinds fold and it's back to me with 2490 in the pot and 590 to call. I figure this is a big overlay against the range of hands he might have and call.

Board comes (Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])(5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

and I take it down. Railbird from whom we have heard nothing types "lol. ridiculous" Short-stack types "that just isn't right."

Who doesn't call that all-in?
Old 01-23-2004, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Player and railbird didn\'t like this

Kurn,

Given the situation you found after your steal attempt (I assume that's what you were doing) I believe you call of 590 to be absolutely correct. The only way I wouldn't call would be if my finger, operating on the "They raised my steal I have to fold" priciple hit the fold button before my brain processed the pot odds.

And if you tried to explain pot-odds to your fans there you'd likely get a lot of "WTF?"

Nicely played last night, by the way.

And finally, I wish my car would break down on a Friday. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-23-2004, 02:30 PM

your steal attempt (I assume that's what you were doing)

This may be off topic, but it touches on what I think is a key concept in NL tournament play. There's a saying that goes something like this, "Each poker hand essentially begins as a struggle for the antes."

In the middle stages of a tournament, the purpose of *every* preflop raise I make is to take the chips that are already in the pot. It doesn't matter whether I have AA or 32. I want the blinds. If any action follows my raise, I assess the situation and proceed. How often, or with what range of hands, I raise is going to depend on the dynamics present at the table and how willing I am to play my cards if called. In this case, the blinds both have stacks in the range of mine and they weren't playing too aggressively, so I thought there was a reasonable chance they'd fold, but if one of them called me, I'd be comfortable playing 97s with position after the flop.

Table dynamics are key. I might raise and take the blinds from the SB, then again from the button, and on the very next hand get a better hand than the other two and fold it because the table dynamics dictate that I am now more likely to get played back at.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but the range of hands with which I raise varies based on a number of criteria, but regardless of the cards, my purpose when I raise is always the same.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:22 PM

Very interesting post. This quote "Each poker hand essentially begins as a struggle for the antes," really puts pre-flop play into perspective.
I do have a minor question in regard to this statement: In the middle stages of a tournament, the purpose of *every* preflop raise I make is to take the chips that are already in the pot.
Does *every* mean the vast majority? You never raise pre-flop to build a pot?
Just curious and thanks for the post.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:07 AM

that call is automatic but the PF raise is one i usually dont make. im not being critical as this could be a leak in my game. just curious what others have to say. i usually wait until the blinds increase and some of the self destructing loose players who will automatically call or move in with seemingly anything get weeded out. i want to be invlolved in their self destruction just with a quality hand. i would fold this hand this early. i use a very tight early and agg late strategy in these. others thoughts would be appreciated

GL matty
Old 01-24-2004, 01:50 PM

Hi jomatty,

[ QUOTE ]
i would fold this hand this early.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misread his post. This was a two-table SNG -- 18 entrants -- at the final table with 8 left, and 100/200 blinds plus 25 antes. This wasn't "early."

Cris
Old 01-24-2004, 11:49 AM

You never raise pre-flop to build a pot?

Never say never, but in NL, building a pot has a trap built in. You may inadvertantly let the pot get so big that it becomes impossible on later streets for you to deny draws the proper odds to call.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:09 PM

You obviously don't like the raise, but you're right. It's definitely a call for you.

Give em a smiley face. They clearly don't get it. No reason to let them think you do.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:12 PM

Once you made a raise of 700, no way 590 more all in should push you out. Good call. Even better, the other players are gonna have a hard time putting you on a hand the rest of the tournament, which is always +EV.

What did the short stack have? AK? I can see why he was bitter if that is the case, but that is poker!
Old 01-23-2004, 02:32 PM

What did the short stack have? AK?

Duh. Left out a key piece of info. Button had A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]