Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2004, 12:57 AM

Default Poker Stars Second set of tables (recap et al)

Poker Stars Second set of tables (recap et al)
No limit Hold’em $10 + 1
1-22-04 21:31 EST to 23:14 EST

1. KURN ($72)
2. HelmetSky ($54)
3. Gwendoline ($36)
4. Jedi333 ($18)
5. d9090
6. VinnyTheFish
7. Zorac
8. AcesOver8s
9. StageMusic
10. JellybeanDC
11. Walleye675
12. eMarkM
13. ClaudioReyna
14. cldealer53
15. NapaWino
16. TD777
17. DaPimp
18. JPK631

Apologies in advance to other table.

In the words of Jedi (What a tournament!)

And yes it was. IT started out tighter than most, but opened up and was played in a very solid manner.

Play opened up with HelmetSky walking to an early lead and holding on to many of his chips. A few player dodged all in outs and scratched as long as they could. 2+2 favorites such as eMarkM, Stagemusic and Kurn were short stacked early.

But then your’s truly took a nice chip lead at the $100/200 level as my pocket Jacks held off SatgeMusic [8s8d] and (the chip leader) Helmutsky [k [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]. flop [6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] for T$5130. Stage exited in 9th shortly after.

Kurn (AQo)was holding on, but never in doubt as he took a nice chunk (T$1970) from the Jedi (KQo). (Q 3 8 8 7).

HelmutSky charged to the top (relinquishing my last chip lead of the night) as his QQ held strong knocked of Acesover8’s (Big Slick [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]). [J 4 J 6 T]. Rocking in T$8520. At this point Vinny was in #2 with a bout 4600, and 2+2 redundunt winner D9090 was #3 with about 4000.

D9090 was not about to bow out and took Zorac (friend of Space Ghost) down as the [Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] - T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] rocked [44] with the commun being [K T J 3 4],

Jedi then took a good handful of chips away from Helmutsky as [Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] faced A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] --- T7260 to be exact. But our young Jedi was not done by any means … ending Zorac’s night with two pair (Q2’s) knocking off his paired Queen.

Helmutsky (again) continued to cripple players (yet not enough this time). The Helmet took home 9000+from Kurn as he flushed on the river with Q9, overtaking Kurn’s Ako. Helmet did not need the flush since he already had the set of 9’s,

As the players dropped, the final 4 were set. Jedi was the short stack with about T2600, Helmut about T7700, Kurn 7800 & Gwen with about T8600+.

Ironically Kurn set Jedi home with a King high – 8 kicker. I kid u not! This put Kurn over 12K and in a commanding lead.

Gwen was crippled with her 2pr. AQ’s bowing to Helmet’s set of 2’s made on the turn. This left Qwen with under 1000.

I just missed the final hand, but as always, had a greattime!!

Faithfully summitted:
VinnyTheFish … “I just wanna make a buck!”

Old 01-23-2004, 01:23 AM

Default Re: Poker Stars Second set of tables (recap et al)

"D9090 was not about to bow out and took Zorac (friend of Space Ghost) down as the [Q - T ] rocked [44] with the commun being [K T J 3 4],"

holy crap!!! you mean i actually WON the hand??

recount!!
do-over!!
hooray for my big win.
just kidding. nice summary vinnie...except, that 4 you put on the board was only in my dreams....not in reality.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:33 AM

good point! It was a 5.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:34 AM

Great post, Vinny. Well, as HelmetSky, I found some new ways of spelling it... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. It's just Helmet & Sky, although many people at the tables call me Helmut too... I liked Helmutsky the best, it's like a polish noble name or something.

It was a great tourney indeed. I caught some good hands early on, to build a massive stack, but when we went to the final table, I found Kurn at my left. He was about 1/6 my stack at the time, but very aggressive. I had to adjust to his game, and it took me quite a while. But he really played great. There's a lot to learn from his small-stack game, mid-stack game, and big stack (at the end).

When it was only the two of us, blinds were already huge (400/800). He was ahead from the begining, and we played for a while without seeing any flops. My stack got a little short after maybe 18 hands, and the last hand went this way:

Kurn T19920
Me T7080

Blinds 400/800, ante 50. (next hand, 600/1200 I think).

I have A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the BB, Kurn raises to 3200, I raise all-in and he calls. Kurn shows 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
(Well, at least mine is soooted!)

Board: J-2-K-T-5

Another 2+2 SNG is over. Couldn't ask for a better one...

(BTW, I knew someday I'll face Kurn Heads-up. It happaned sooner than I thought... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

PrayingMantis
Old 01-23-2004, 02:41 AM

There was one hell of a hand where Kurn tried an all-in steal (as a short stack) and had 8-5. Gwen called and had a couple of overcards, but Kurn wound up hitting a straight. Nice.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:37 AM

Not only was I called when I was stealing with a trash hand, but Gwen had (I think) K8s, so I was dominated as well.

There was one stretch at the final table where about 5 straight all-ins were won by the dominated hand: AQ beat AK, Q2 beat Q4, A5o beat A6s, QJ beat AQ, and of course my 85o beating K8s.

A very strange game, indeed.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:45 AM

It was a great game and alot of fun. I must have looked like a really yummy worm dangling there to Vinny as he put me down in chips no less than 3 times before finally putting me out with his JJ. The only one besides the last one that I really remember was my AQ going in against his AK and the better hand holding up as the flop gave us both a pair of Aces and no other help for me coming. A great time and some really fine play.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:13 AM

HelmutSky = Helmuth-Sklansky

so these are your poker gods eh? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

tim
Old 01-23-2004, 11:00 AM

Another nice event, another great turnout. Those tables filled in a matter of seconds. Not even sure if we had any interlopers this time. I was disappointed in how I played, letting Stagemusic back in when I overplayed 99 vs his QQ, leaving me short. Then moving in when short with KQs and getting called by AK.

After that one, I played in a $30 with William (who missed the 2+2 event because they filled up too fast) and he was on my immediate left. Ended up giving him my chips midway through when I was short and went allin on KJs and he called and had me dominated with AJ. Gotta stop moving in with K high [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

After that I played with CrisBrown in another $30 and we ended up HU. 4 handed she had about 15K and the rest of us had 3K and she relentlessly pounded us. I managed to survive for HU and I managed to dent her big lead, but was ultimately unable to overcome it. On a Q high all heart flop, I raised her all in with a naked Ah and she made a good call with JJ and it held.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:30 AM

Default Gwendoline, JellybeanDC, ClaudioReyna, cldealer53, DaPimp, JPK631

I do not have you on the mailing list for SNG announcements. Send me a pm please. It would help a lot if you would include your name on Stars.

Doc