Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2004, 03:25 PM

Default SitnGo strategy and Results questions

I've recently decided to temporarily abandon both ring games and multi-tournies and concentrate specifically on SnG tournaments for the forseeable future. My goal is to play 500 tournies at each level, starting with 10+1, to assemble data and determine my own level of profitability within them.

It would be very helpful to me if anyone who has compiled data over a large number of SnG's could post their results in terms of ROI and win %. I know that several of you primarily play the higher levels but if anyone does have extensive stats on 10+1 or other low levels that would be great.

Also, I haven't seen anyone post a comprehensive "strategy" for SnG's on this site and I think it would be great if long time winning players were able to provide some insight. I know that even in the first couple of weeks of concentrating on SnG's my strategy has changed and I'm guessing it will continue to do so. Any tips/advice specific to SnG's that people could provide would be much appreciated.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:01 PM

Default Re: SitnGo strategy and Results questions

Let me begin by saying that this type of SnG has been haunting me lately, they creap on for close to 2 hours and suck the life out of me.
That said. My opinion, of course open to criticism. You have enough chips to see 7 more hands. I don't know what your chances of getting a better hand than AJs but I would bet not great. Also, even if you just doubled up you would still have less than 10 BB and therefore still not be very secure. However, if you quadruple up, you are back in the fight. You have a hand that likes allot of callers, with the straight and flush opportunites. I think I would do the same thing here.

Another option would be to complete and hope the a straight/flush draw or Jack high flop hit and fold to any bet if you didn't hit. Since you know your all-in won't scare anyone off this is the safer route. But, then you are back to hoping for something that isn't likely to come: a better hand. I like the all-in.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:33 PM

Most would probably say search the forum, this has been discussed before. But for today anyway, that's not the case in this new forum. So I'll give you some of my info.

All of my data is from Party NLHE SNGs. I played 1000 $30s with an ROI at 30%. And I've played almost 500 $50s, with my ROI at almost 28%. Fwiw, my "in the money" percentage has been about 41-42% on both. Obviously, the ROI is the much more important stat though.

I think you're going about this the perfect way. Starting low and planning on playing a lot to make sure you are beating the game is a great way to go. Playing 50 or 100 may give you an indication, but it's not enough of a sample in my opinion.

As for specific advice, I won't go into anything more than tight early, loosen up late. And reading this forum will help immensely. You're already on the right track.

Good luck.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:37 PM

wow JDO...that's some pretty specific advice for such a general query.
by the way, what the hell are you talking about???? har har har.

i suspect i will find the answer (errr, the question) as i peruse the other posts in this new forum.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:40 PM

Default ?

JDO,

donīt get me wrong, but what are you writing about? Should this be a reply to another post or am I missing something?

Best regards

Martin Aigner
Old 01-22-2004, 05:01 PM

Thanks for the reply. I've been playing SnG's overall for over a year at all levels but I figured I'd start at the bottom and work my way up to have some reliable information and make sure I was "beating the game" as you said.

I tried searching the forum and came up with limited success. Specifically I can't find information regarding specific strategies people employ in SnG's as opposed to Multi's and ring games. I employ a tight early loose late strategy as you suggested however I was hoping that people might be willing to get into a bit more detail.

One thing I have found is that in certain situations (stack sizes, people left) it is correct to push in with almost any two cards (for instance if a very small stack with 3 left has folded the button and you are the SB and have the BB covered). Also, strategy regarding blind stealing etc. and any specifics would be awesome. From what I can tell, with the rapid escalation of blinds stealing is probably the biggest factor separating a fourth place or a 1st place finish.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated, I don't know how much strategy people are willing to share, but perhaps an open discussion will expand everyone's knowledge.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:32 PM

~500 $30 PL tourneys, 40% money finish rate, 18% ROI. Must be getting 3rd more than I should if 28-30% ROI is possible with that win rate...
Old 01-22-2004, 06:29 PM

Here are my results since the beginning of December:
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
buyin Tourneys Place % AvgFin 1st 2nd 3rd ROI $/hr Total Gain
$55 125 39.20% 4.44 23 12 14 30.20% $25 $2,075
$109 31 38.70% 4.71 4 5 3 21.30% $32 $721
$215 62 33.90% 4.68 9 5 7 11% $35.50 $1,470

Total 218 37.60% 4.55 36 22 24 18.00% $29 $4,266
</pre><hr />
Old 01-22-2004, 06:37 PM

Hey Allen, impressive results. I'm about to make a splash into the $100s and hope to increase my hourly rate as you have.

I assume I know the answer based on your results to date, but I was curious what your take is on the competition at the different levels. And are you playing limit or NL?
Old 01-22-2004, 07:31 PM

Sorry about that. I found the rightful home of that post. I feel like a dipshit...