Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2004, 12:12 PM

Default How can anyone with a brain support the Patriot Act?

First of all, the Patriot Act was supposed to temporary. It was hurried into legislature shortly after 9/11 because it was believed that without these unconstitutional privilages, the government could not effectively fight terrorism. It has now been three years and the highly criticized Patriot Act is to be renewed, atleast these are Bush's plans. Should the goverenment have the right to rip up the constitution? I dont know about all of you, but I value my 4,5,8 amendments greatly. One has to wonder if the government will ever relenquish its new found powers. Historically, governments constantly get stronger and more powerful, and rarely acquiesce any powers they are able to obtain. The governed and governers are constantly in a struggle with eachother, and it has become obvious that the ball is most definitely in the governers court. What will our country be like in 20 years? 30 years? Atleast Dubbya doesnt have a male heir.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Libertarianism....

the below threads inspired me to investigate this aprty and its platforms, and I must say I was close to sending a paypal donation. Man, do they hit the nail on the head.
How a human being can be ignorant enough to call themselves a republican or a democrat is beyond my comprehension.

"The only thing worse then a trent lott republican is a hilary clinton democrat."
Old 01-22-2004, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing worse then a trent lott republican is a hilary clinton democrat

[/ QUOTE ]

almost, but good ol' super-bitch tipper gore ranks right up there with the hillary dems.

al
Old 01-22-2004, 12:54 PM

Default well....

How can someone support it? Its quite easy. People were and are afraid. And rightfully so. As someone in new york city on september 11th, as someone who works at a company who's office was reduced to rubble and a number of my co-workers sitting around me today evacuated those buildings, as someone who witnessed the fall of each tower live and in living color, heard the 2nd plane hit, people standing on top of tower 1, engulfed in black smoke, some trying to climb down the side of a 1500 foot building and rarely making it a floor, a couple holding hands jumping from the top continuing to hold hands until one of the two hit something on the way to the ground and was obliterated while the other continued on the final few hundred feet to the ground below, ran down as far south as we were allowed trying to get to stuyvesant high school to find a co-workers cousin, standing around Chambers St after the collapse where it looked like a volcanic eruption as cars had almost a foot of grey dust on them, I can understand people's fear. And it is justified. While I am also completely against some aspects of the patriot act especially extended detainment without being charged, I will accept certain infringements to feel safer. I don't love the wire tapping/surveillance aspects of it, I'll accept some of it. I completely support the financial monitoring aspects of it. I don't feel like going into every aspect as I'm sure others will, but before questioning if people actually have a brain, attempt to understand why they could feel this way.

Zack
Old 01-22-2004, 12:56 PM

I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone who believes in all ideals of either party. Its like watching the superbowl this year.. I don't like either team and think the game will be boring, but I'll watch and pick a side. Most people do the same with Republicans or Democrats.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:57 PM

Default Excellent post. Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts. (N/M)

Old 01-22-2004, 01:13 PM

Default Re: well....

Very good points Cracker I think most if not all Americans and critters agree that changes, some permanent, had to be made to stop it from happening again. If the Gov did nothing and we got hit again the same people would ask why the politicians did nothing.

But you just try to defend NY electing Hillary....I dare you.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:37 PM

The Libertarian Platform is, IMO, better than the Democratic or Republican Platforms.

The only two areas where I disagree significantly disagree with them are on their foreign policy approach, which seems to ignore 9/11 and the implications of organized terrorists plotting against us, and on their open borders approach to immigration. Other than those two things, I think their ideas are far better and would do much good for the citizens of the USA.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Libertarian Platform is, IMO, better than the Democratic or Republican Platforms.

The only two areas where I disagree significantly disagree with them are on their foreign policy approach, which seems to ignore 9/11 and the implications of organized terrorists plotting against us, and on their open borders approach to immigration. Other than those two things, I think their ideas are far better and would do much good for the citizens of the USA.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, their foreign policy approach is sort of.."Well we should never have gotten so involved in foreign affairs and should become more isolationist - obviously, this is now imposible"...
Old 01-22-2004, 02:06 PM

Default Re: well....

I voted for Lazio.

Btw, the whole senate thing is a load of crap. They had a residence here for around 6 months, quite a nice one I might add as I dated a girl who lived about a block away, but seriously, she's from arkansas, buys a house up here and can run for senate? Ridiculous. You would think after the Kennedy's did it in the 60's they'd reform that.