Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2004, 05:19 AM

Default Tournament Comeback

Hey, I don't really know why I'm posting this, but I was excited, and figured I'd see if anyone's ever heard of a bigger comeback in one of the online tournaments. This was only a $10/1 NL Hold' Em tournament (on Empire Poker / Party Poker).

There were 5 players left (including me), and I had 26 chips. Everyone else had over 1000. Instead of just going in the first hand I saw, I figured I'd try to stick around as long as possible. So finally my blind hand comes (the blinds were 150/300 now), and I'm obviously all in. Unfortunately, I have a 5 3 offsuit. The small blind folds, the big blind has KQ suited, I end up winning w/ a pair of 3s. Great! I'm up to about 75 chips.

The next hand, I'm the Small Blind, and again forced all in. I get an A 7 suited.. not too bad. The guy to the left of the Big Blind raises, causing both blinds to fold. He had AK, but I ended up taking it w/ a pair of 7s. I now have around 290 chips.. looking a lot better, but still pathetic.

Before my next blind, I get a KK, I push all in (which doesn't even meet the blind. Some other guy raises, causing the blinds to fold, and I take the pot.. I now have over 900 chips.

Several hands later, and a few more successful moves. I find two players knocked out, and I'm actually in the final 3 (in the money). I wind up taking out one guy w/ pocket queens, so now I'm heads up with the chip leader. I have about 2k, he has the remaining 6k.

After about 5 minutes of back and forth play. I end up winning the tournament on an A J offsuit that hit a jack w/ both of us going all in.

When all was said and done, I came back from 26 chips, up against players w/ 1000s and actually won the whole tournament. Has anyone outdone this or heard of a bigger comeback?
Old 01-22-2004, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Tournament Comeback

Hi cazeek,

Nice comeback!

As for whether I've seen a better one, yes. It was a $55 multi-table on UB with around 100 runners, and a friend of mine had only 35 chips left (very early) after her set ran into a bigger set. The next BB put her all-in, and there were three limpers. On a K-J-4 flop, she had KJ. She hit a couple of big pairs soon afterwards, and eventually went on to finish 4th overall.

It was the most amazing comeback I've ever seen.

Cris
Old 01-22-2004, 11:21 AM

I witnessed one "a chip & a chair" comeback in a B&M. It was at Mohegan last year in their Monday night Crazy Pineapple tourney (which drew a whopping 29 players). When I got to the final table there was one guy with one 500 chip and, I think the blinds were something like 200/400 with the average being about 4,000 but I might be off. I finished 3rd and he ended up winning.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:01 PM

Nice comeback! These stories show to never give up and never surrender. My "chip and a chair" story: An hour into a PLHE tourney on Stars I have 40 chips left after posting SB, I'm in last place out of 140 or so. Few limpers and I get a shot at quadrupling up with the scintilating K6o and hit a K on the flop. It holds up and I go on to final table.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:07 PM

In the first Sunday 500 NL tourney on Stars, I saw a player get KK cracked by QQ. He was left about 35 chips or so. I think this was level I or II. Anyhow, this guy goes on to finish to 2nd and win 40K (assuming there was no deal).
Old 01-22-2004, 12:43 PM

OK....mine was as dramatic....just not with such a happy ending.....at least the best one. I have gotten down to 19 chips and taken 2nd in a SNG on Paradise....but that's not close to this.

I was in my first multi on Party (yes it was bound to be a learning experience)...$30 buy in. I can't even remember how, but I get knocked down to T26 with about half the field gone.....table leader has something like T6,500....I wait and make my move when a lot of people limp in and I figure if I pull out the draw I might as well get as much action as possible....obviously I win or the story over. Well, I go on to double/triple/quadruple up a few times and literally within 20 minutes I have the table lead with like T6,200......1 more big score gets me TOURNEY CHIP LEAD @ T10,000+.........AND THEN........I call to see a flop for only the amount of the BB...have no idea how many stayed but only know that the guy to my immediate right goes ALL-in on the flop.......he has T8,000+.......but since I flopped a full boat I'm happy to try and take a huge chip lead to almost T18,000.....I call.............and he shows me his HIGHER boat that HE flopped.......the entire table types the gratuitous "ouch" or "wow" or "It had to end sometime.....".

I just stared at my screen in utter disbelief......maybe online poker just isn't a good idea is ringing through my mind.........tilt isn't an option because I can't reach for the mouse....I'm a vegetable. About 3 hands later I had 2 pair and call an all-in by someone who had me covered and they catch the river to make their flush. I'm broke...I'm done....in like 10 out of the money (like I care about getting the buy in back at that point anyway).

I think I slept for 45 minutes that night if that.
Old 01-22-2004, 01:21 PM

Cazeek,

great comback. I´ve never done anything like this before, tried it several times tough [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think it was Jack Strauss who won the world championchip although he was down to 1 chip at a certine time in the tourney.

Best regards

Martin Aigner
Old 01-22-2004, 01:27 PM

Biggest comeback I have every heard of! Seen people come back from 100-200 chips many times, but never anything like this. Way to go!