Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2001, 03:27 AM

Default Should I have thrown it away?

Am I a victim of results analysis?

4/8 in CA. Single Big Blind. I'm on the button with Js8s. There are a couple of early limpers, a couple of middle limpers, I think there was a total of 5 limpers to me. I limp. Big Blind raises. It's called to the cutoff who now decides to re-raise. He's done this once before in the last 20 minutes. He's been at the table less than an hour. His play is in question. I muck! It gets capped not by the Big Blind, but by one of the gamblers at the table. The flop comes AsKsTs. The action is hot and steamy. I think it gets three bet before all is said and done. The turn is 7s. Now the action has simmered down to two without a raise. The river is Qs. Both players play the board. Big Blind had JdJh. Other player had 6s5s. Pot was huge and I would have ended up with a royal flush. Did I make the right move?

Thanks,

-Michael
Old 09-29-2001, 04:14 AM

Default Re: Should I have thrown it away?

Yes, if you think the BB and cutoff are raising with hands stronger than J8s. J8s is only a mediocre starting hand at best and should only be played for the bring-in from late position with so many players in the pot ahead of you.

Of course, you should never fold a Royal Flush.
Old 09-29-2001, 08:49 PM

Default yes

without question, and i think u know u did.

well played

Droopy
Old 10-03-2001, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Should I have thrown it away?

i think there comes a certain point where, if you are going to play J8s preflop for one bet, then playing it for 2 bets is not so horrible. this assumes you are not a complete boob postflop. throw it away if you don't get a good flush or straight draw, or 2 pair. J8 can be second best a whole lot of ways, so you need to be very careful with it. tight play gets the money, true, but a little variance doesn't hurt too much in the long run, if you play it right. (plus, how are you ever going to learn how to play it right postflop if you dont see the flop?) i wouldn't advocate always playing J8s like a premium hand or something, but if you throw it in once in a while especially when you think there is something fishy about a new player's play, you mught just figure out how to play this darned game a little better. (plus with that flop you would have been rolling in the BB's.)

--DISCLAIMER: DON'T BE RESULTS ORIENTED IN HINDSIGHT, BE RESULTS ORIENTED IN FORESIGHT--