Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2004, 10:49 AM

Default Odds After the Flop

Calculating pot odds relative to the odds of making a hand is pretty straightforward after the river card . My question is after the flop.

Let's say you have 4 to a flush after the flop. So at this point the odds of making the flush over the next 2 cards are about 2-1. The odds off making the flush on the rier are about 4-1.

Now at this point, strictly speaking, what pot odds are being compared to what hand odds to make the decision on playing?

I would always call - maybe raise in this particular scenario - but I got to thinking about the exact comaprisons here. Is it just your required bet on the flop relative to pot odds needs to be better than 2-1? It seems it would be more accurate to use your implied pot odds and your future bets to make the decision, because the 2-1 is relative to the the next 2 cards.

What's the exact math here?
Old 01-18-2004, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Odds After the Flop

[ QUOTE ]
It seems it would be more accurate to use your implied pot odds and your future bets to make the decision, because the 2-1 is relative to the the next 2 cards.

What's the exact math here?

[/ QUOTE ]

To my understanding if you are going to calculate based on the next card, which has ~4:1 odds of being your flush card, there needs to be 4x whatever you're going to bet in the pot. On the flop the bet is 1SB and I can't imagine there not being at least 4SB in the pot postflop.

If you're going to use 2:1 by the river you need to use implied odds, meaning that you are going to have to put in at least 1 SB + 1 BB + 1BB = 2.5BB, so there would have to be at least 5BB by the time the river comes.

Compare this to the runner-runner 23:1 flush shot. 1 SB + 1BB + 1BB = 2.5BB. 2.5BB x 23 = 57.5BB in the pot by the river - good luck.

Resident experts please correct me if need be.