Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2004, 12:35 AM

Default Mirage 20-40: Setting a trap and luring your opponent(s) into it

The hands is from an average Mirage 20-40 game. However, a few people have just picked up or are taking a walk. So, the game is currently six handed.

The Small Blind, who whatever reason, decides to spice things up by posting a blind raise. He's got $40 posted. The Big Blind has $20 posted. I'm not sure what the official Mirage rules are pertaining to this type of blind raise. However, it was clear that that the Small Blind was going to honor this blind raise and that nobody at the table was objecting to it.

The hand:

UTG folds. I'm UTG+1 (MP?) with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Only the Cutoff and Button are left to act behind me. I choose to limp with the intention of limp-reraising. Both the Cutoff and Button fold. Small Blind honors his raise. The Big Blind thinks and folds. I change plans and just call the raise rather than 3-betting. Two players see the flop for two bets each.

The flop is: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

The Small Blind came out betting. I'm not sure if he actually saw the flop before he bet. I called quickly.

The Small Blind bet the turn blind.

The turn is: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I called the the blind bet.

The Small Blind bet the river blind.

The river is: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I made my first raise in the hand and the Small Blind called.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:00 AM

Default Re: Mirage 20-40: Setting a trap and luring your opponent(s) into it

He certainly seems the type of player to keep betting, so you're risking less with this guy than with an average player by just calling all the way until the river. But what if a 4th diamond or other action killing card comes on the river? I'd be more inclined, even with this guy, to raise the turn. He also would 3-bet more often than the average player.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:58 AM

a) this seems like a pretty standard play
b) i think that afox is right that the time to raise is on the turn. Given that he has been betting blind, he will likely call with hands far worse than what he would have if he voluntarily entered the pot because he may think you're trying to steal. If the fourth diamond hits on the river, he'll have to be pretty strong to call your raise (not to mention he is much less likely to bet).
Old 01-12-2004, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Small Blind bet the turn blind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the turn bet was definitely in the dark, a raise seems a natural move by you that may not even slow your opponent down given how he plays and he may interpret the raise as almost meaningless. So he may still have bet the river (but maybe not in the dark).

You may have missed getting another $40. Or not.

-Zeno

Old 01-12-2004, 03:24 AM

Nice hand What made you decide not reraise him preflop??

1. You most likey have the best hand.
2. No one else is in the pot to contend with
3. Against random cards you are usually ahead.
4. You have position.

Do you have good control over this peson??
How was your table image at the time?? Winning or Losing??

Also this reraise preflop could probably get you a free turn card, since he'll almost guartee you to be the flop.

P.S. I'll be in Vegas in March, I'll e-mail you when I finalize plans, save a seat for me.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:03 AM

I think I raise the flop. He might think you are trying to steal from him because he knows you probably wouldn't limp with a 9 if you knew he was going to raise. I think a raise on the flop will disguise your hand because he would think you would wait until the turn to raise. So, if he has a part of the flop, he might reraise the flop and bet the turn.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:04 AM

It would be a disaster to have him fold the flop, so this will give you a chance to tell me why not give him a chance, which I would. I like to raise the flop, and just see if I can pick something up, and then plan my turn action accordingly, because these can be very big wins. This is the sort of board that somebody out of position w/ no hand and no diamond can get away from even when a blank hits the turn and they check/fold, or a diamond hits and they check fold. On the other hand, others will continue to bluster with very little hand, convinced you are using position and a scary board, and give you more than you are due. I mean he's got a random hand, and he's there to gamble. Annyhoo. I've played it your way to, but it seems the typical result is they check fold the turn or river as much as they bet bet-call, and the times they bet-call the river, there was more money to be had.

That's post flop. I don't really get the preflop limpcall.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:23 AM

Why not blind raise the turn?
Old 01-12-2004, 05:24 AM

The limp-reraise plan was great, until you wussed out. 3-bet the sucker. After you flop the nuts there are many ways to correctly play the hand. A lot of it depends on past action between you two, and what you want to set up for future hands. Take your pick. Do whatev. But next time 3-bet him preflop.

GoT
Old 01-12-2004, 08:41 AM

Nice opponent. I would have raised the flop, raised and then re-raised the turn when he probably would have realized he's had too many rum-and-coke and tried to muscle and then bet out on the river, watching him call. This is so unique, with the blind raise, the blind betting and the pre-betting that even with the nut flush you are likely to keep him in regardless of the action. Cool hand.