Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2004, 02:30 PM

Default Was my fold correct?

Party poker 2/4, I get dealt 8c 8s in middle position. To my right is a loose, passive fish and the button is a pretty solid player, perhaps a bit aggressive. The last twenty hands or so I've been dealt great hands and the flop seems to hit me every time, so I too, am perhaps perceived as very aggressive at the table.

Anyway, I'm the first one in and call. Loose guy calls, and the button raises. We both call. The flop is

2h 6c 8d

I bet out, loose guy calls, button raises, I 3-bet, loose guy calls and the button caps it. We both call. The turn is the 9h.

I bet out, now the loose guy raises me! Button folds, I call. The river is the 3d.

I check, loose guy bets. I think and then fold.

Was my fold correct here? Hell, what more did I do wrong? Help is much appreciated.

Kluddeludde
Old 01-11-2004, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Was my fold correct?

I don't think it was correct. You should've raised him on the river, it's highly doubtful he had anything that could've beat trip 8's.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:41 PM

Hi Klud,

I don't like the fold. You would have to put villain on exactly 9-9 to fold here. Being that he is loose, he could have a wide range of hands. You can beat everything else. 9-8 is highly more likely. A better play would have been to reraise the turn, and lead out on the river.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:56 PM

I think this fold is TERRIBLE. I don't mean to be harsh, I'm just trying to emphasize the size of the mistake. Your chances of winning this pot would have been over 90%, and you were risking a comparitively small amount of additional money by sticking around. By folding, you are guaranteed to win nothing.

His pre-flop and continued aggression does not suggest 99 at all, it points to a high pocket pair. His play on the turn points to Aces or Kings.

There is no flush draw, no paired board, and an incredibly unlikely straight draw.

I would've three-bet the turn--and even if capped, I think I'm still betting the river. No way I'm folding

Did you consider open-raising with your 8's?
Old 01-11-2004, 03:15 PM

As everyone has said, your river fold was horrible. You definately need to read the following thread:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...mp;sb=5&o=
Old 01-11-2004, 03:26 PM

The pre-flop aggressor folded on the turn, when the caller (loose guy) raised me. I figured since he had called four bets, there is no way he could have anything else but a straight or, possibly, 99. Had the pre-flop aggressor raised me, I, of course, would have reraised him, and then bet out on the flop even if the turn had been capped.

And, yes, I considered open-raising...
Old 01-11-2004, 03:33 PM

Actually, I put him on 5-7, considering that he called four bets on the flop, when the pre-flop aggressor and I kept re-raising each other, and then raised me, when I led out on the turn.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:37 PM

Was your fold correct? In a word, NO!

The only way I stop the raising war there is when you pry the mouse out of my cold dead fingers.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:48 PM

Default Ok, to let you know how I thought...

As I said, I limped with 8s 8c. Loose, passive guy limps behind me. This could mean basically anything. Solid player then raises on the button. This is probably two high cards or a high pocket. The flop is then

2h 6c 8d

I bet out. Loose guy calls. Could again mean anything, but probably a pair, a draw or two overcards. Solid player then raises me. This could also mean much, two overcards or a big pair. Then I re-raise. Loose guy now calls again. This limits his hands a great deal. An open-ended straight draw, top pair or overpair is the most likely hands. The solid player now re-raises, which marks him with an overpair, most likely kings or aces. The turn is then the 9h.

I again bet out, and this time the loose guy raises me. Remember, this is a loose, passive guy and would never raise with a draw and very seldom with even top pair, but he likes to call alot. This tells me that he has a monster, most likely a straight, or possibly a set of nines.

However, now in retrospect, I figured he could have slowplayed his set of 2's or 5's on the flop, but other than those, I can't see any hands I can beat.

Kluddeludde
Old 01-11-2004, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Ok, to let you know how I thought...

I think the problem is there's 13 BB in the pot and you have a good hand... not the nuts but good. It's one more bet to stay in. I call every time. Even if this guy is as loose passive as you say, he could still have two pair, a lower set or big pocket pair and be betting like this. Read the thread recommended above, it's made a definate difference in my game.