Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2004, 06:42 PM

Default Ooops...I did it again: Another check-raise whiff

Very different scenario than yesterday's hand, but a whiff nonetheless.

Party 3/6...typical table, no reads.

Bear has Th, Tc and is EP1

Bear raises, MP1 calls, Button 3-bets, SB calls, UTG folds, Bear calls, MP1 calls

Flop(13 SB): 3c, 5d, 7s

SB checks, Bear checks, MP1 checks, Button bets, SB calls, Bear raises, MP1 calls, Button 3-bets (ouch!), SB calls, Bear calls, MP1 calls

Turn(12 1/2 BB): Ts
Hi-OOOOOOO!!

SB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, Button checks
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!

River(12 1/2 BB): Ad

SB checks, Hero bets, MP1 calls, Button calls, SB calls

Can I be forgiven for this one or did I blow it again?
Old 01-06-2004, 06:50 PM

Default Re: Ooops...I did it again: Another check-raise whiff

I think your forgiven...

One would expect a bet when it's 3-bet at flop, I suspect someone trying for free river on a draw or attempting to thin the field...

-t
Old 01-06-2004, 07:13 PM

I'd be tempted to try for a river check-raise [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] but you played this well.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:19 PM

No way do I give a spade draw a free card there. Bet again, hope the button raises you, again. And then three bet his sorry self. Bet, Bet, Bet.
Old 01-06-2004, 09:10 PM

Against many opponents I will bet the turn expecting to be raised by an overpair. Against wussier opponents I'll go for the check-raise as you did.

-- Homer
Old 01-06-2004, 10:35 PM

I don't like this check-raise. The button played you like a fiddle for a free draw at the river.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like this check-raise. The button played you like a fiddle for a free draw at the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make any sense, as the button has no idea that I have pocket tens. Suppose the turn had come with another low card and the button had checked behind. Now his weak play has allowed ME to get a free draw at the river. So if the button plays this way regardless of the turn card (except a Q), which he probably will given our information, I benefit from his check much more often than he does.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What check raise are you referring too? On the flop, check raising is hands down the best play. There is an excellent chance that his pair of tens is the best hand going but extemely vulnerable. He definately wants to thin the field and the check raise is best weaopon to do it.

When he spikes his set on the turn. Checkraising is a little more debateable. Most of the time the button is going to bet again after three betting the flop. If its early in his session it may not be a bad ideal to try a check raise again. The value of that checkraise is going to be realized in future hands as people will no longer assume you are weak just becuase you checked. This is a good time to make a play like this becuase A)You already checkraised on the flop, B)Even though your hand has vulnerabilities, you're not really afraid of a free card here.

Personally I like betting out and hopefully whipsawing MP1.

Both plays are valid depending on what you want to accomplish and nobody got played like a fiddle. Sometime hands just don't play out the way you expected them too.

Stu
Old 01-07-2004, 06:07 AM

NEVER MIND -- READ THE POST TOTALLY WRONG -- BUT answer is the same -- just bet, bet, bet, as everyone else said!!!
Old 01-07-2004, 07:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you figure this? The button three-bet pre-flop then three-bet again on the flop. His check on the turn sounds like he was spooked by all the callers and wanted a cheap showdown. Besides, what busted draw could he possibly have that he would call with on the river after all that action; especially after MP1 suddenly woke up and bet when the Ace fell? Also, unless he three-bet something like 68 pre-flop, there are no reasonable draws for him to try and buy a free card for. To me it looks like he is playing a big pair.

SpaceAce