Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2004, 07:27 PM

Default Alright, here\'s a contreversial one! 2-4 Borgata.

Okay, same table as before but 2 donaters have been replaced by two loose aggressives. (still a GREAT table!)

I pick up 66 in MP all fold to me and I raise. (anyone who knows me knows that anytime I come into the pot first and intend to play I come in with a raise. Only 3 callers including the blinds, so only one person has position on me and that is one of the loose aggressives.

4 to the flop and the flop comes...........

2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (perfect)
SB and BB both check, I bet, button calls, SB and BB both call.

Turn: T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB and BB check, I bet, button calls, both blinds fold.

River: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I check, Button bets. What's your play????
Results to come later.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Alright, here\'s a contreversial one! 2-4 Borgata.

I call a loose aggressive.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:40 PM

I agree. You're kind of inducing a bluff by checking, I think you should call, but expect to loose some of the time with those two overcards showing up.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:50 PM

Call. The pot is too big to fold, and raising seems out of line.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:10 PM

Call the river, I do not think you have any value in raising.

Anyone who knows me knows that anytime I come into the pot first and intend to play I come in with a raise.

Good preflop strategy,
Old 01-05-2004, 08:55 PM

Hi Bunky,

I am more concerned about your turn bet. The worse thing about your hand is that three players called your raise. Any card in the playing zone will kill your sixes. The flop bet is fine. But if you bet the turn, you must bet the river. You are representing a big pair, so checking the river automatically shows your weakness. Opponent probably spiked his ten, and will call you down anyway. The time to check was the turn, and not the river.

That being said, call his river bet. Pray he was bluffing with ace-high.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Bunky,

I am more concerned about your turn bet. The worse thing about your hand is that three players called your raise. Any card in the playing zone will kill your sixes. The flop bet is fine. But if you bet the turn, you must bet the river. You are representing a big pair, so checking the river automatically shows your weakness. Opponent probably spiked his ten, and will call you down anyway. The time to check was the turn, and not the river.

That being said, call his river bet. Pray he was bluffing with ace-high.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is dead wrong. You MUST bet the turn in order to protect your hand against overcards. This is a total no-brainer. If you check the turn here and the LAG checks behind, how do you know where you're at on the river. Virtually every river card is dangerous for your hand. Do you really want 4 opponents to see that card? And what is your action? Do you call a bet? Do you fold in this moderate-sized pot? You are essentially conceding the pot if you check the turn. This is the weakest of weak-tight advice.

Bet the turn. The river decision should depend on the LAG. I doubt he has A-high, since he would likely have 3-bet preflop, so you can't really hope to get called by that. Will he call w/ 55? I'm thinking that I like the check-call here.

Never fold.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
River: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I check, Button bets. What's your play????
Results to come later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking about this...I actually like the check-call. It seems to me that the button is likely on a flush draw. A bet here would just make him fold, since he has no hand, but a check could induce him to bluff and therefore pick up one extra bet.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Results

I checked the river to the LAG in order to induce the bluff and or save myself the money if I'm beat. Moreso to induce the bluff.

I checked, he bet, I turbo called, he showed A2o and I took it down.

The LAG WOULD bet the river with A high after I showed weakness. I looked him up a couple of times before and after that and was constantly trying to bluff me out and missing.

I'm never laying down in this spot HU, ever. (especially against this opponent.)

The opponent would not call with A high but would bet it if checked to. Therefore, the added factor of catching him bluffing compared to getting raised if he hit his 6 outs to overcards. I think the check call in this instance given the opponent is definitely the most +EV situation.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:20 PM

Default Re: Bear

Bear,

If you read again carefully, his mistake was not betting the river. If he felt a strong "need" to check anywhere, it would be the turn.