Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2004, 06:51 PM

Default Osama Sounds Like Howard Dean

So said Michael Medved on his syndicated radio show today. Is this typical of intelligent conservative political thought? I've heard many of the talking heads complain that the liberals are so vituperative when they talk about conservatives. Has any liberal compared Bush to O.B.L.?
Old 01-05-2004, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Osama Sounds Like Howard Dean

Okay, I had to look up what vituperative meant and I have no idea who Michael Medved is and I didn't hear his comment.

I think usually both parties are about equal in this method of attack and they will score points when they can. However, it seems recently that the left is so blinded by their absolute hate for George Bush that many of them have gone off the deep end. For example, the add on moveon.org that compared Bush to Hitler was one of the most vile political attacks I have ever seen.

While I think the attacks from the left might be acceptable weapons in the world of politics, I cant help seeing many on them and thinking, "you little immature uneducated collage brats".

Old 01-05-2004, 11:25 PM

andy did you set this up as a walk-into on purpose or something? How many liberals have you heard or read comparing Bush to Hitler?
Old 01-05-2004, 11:51 PM

Yes Andy they both seem to have an eastern accent. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2004, 12:25 AM

None. But I have heard almost every conservative compare the Democratic critics of the president's foreign policy to Neville Chamberlain and the "appeasers" of the 1930s. I listen to many of the major talking head shows on TV and a bunch on talk radio (although it's hard to find any liberals on radio), and I listen (hard as it is) to what the major (and I use the word "major" advisedly) Democratic presidential candidates are saying and I haven't heard one say that the president sounds like Hitler.

But maybe I'm not looking or listening in the right places.

I've heard Hannity say that the Democrats hate America. I see books (that are not parodies like Mr. Franken's frankly unfunny supposedly funny books) calling Democrats, in their titles, idiots and traitors, and I've heard Mr. Limbaugh call feminists nazis. The most serious criticisms I hear from the Democrats are of Howard Dean, not of George Bush.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:30 AM

I haven't visited moveon.org and know nothing about it. I agree with you that political "debate" on both sides has degenerated. A "he started it, no he started it" anlysis would hardly be productive, but it does seem to me the hatred the right had for Clinton was the genesis of this process. It wasn't that long ago when the two debating presidential candidates referred to each other as "President Carter" and "Governor Reagan." Then Bush 41 told people that his dog knew more about foreign policy than "this guy" (Clinton).

I suppose we live in a generally coarser society anyway. Perhaps my complaints are just those of an old curmudgeon.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:36 AM

Most of the time what I hear from the right today makes me think: "you little stupid moronic pieces of dog fecal matter".

I usually pause after that and acknowledge that dog fecal matter does not smell as bad.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:24 AM

andy you are correct that we live in an increasingly coarse society. Something must be done. It is a grievous thing.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:28 PM

Default The ad on MoveOn.org

[ QUOTE ]
For example, the add on moveon.org that compared Bush to Hitler was one of the most vile political attacks I have ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify, that "ad" was not sponsored by or approved by moveon.org. They held a contest, asking people to submit ads that would be used to get out information about Bush. (basically anti-bush ads I guess, but not necessarily slimy or untrue) They got over 1,000 ads, ranging from amateurish to very professional and creative. Subscribers to the site (which I guess I became after I signed one online petition that they sponsored... it concerned radio industry regulations.) rated ads, and a system based on those ratings was used to determine 15 finalists. I rated a few. Ultimately one winner will be picked and played, I think, on TV. Two ads from among those 1,000+ happened to compare Bush to Hitler, were rated poorly, and dropped from contention.

From what I gather from a moveon.org mailing, someone on Fox News presented a story about the Hitler ads as if moveon.org had created or sponsored them or intended to use them or something. Not true; they were simply two among the many submissions to the contest

BTW, I've seen the 15 finalists, and a few of them are really quite good in terms of creativity and impact. Of course they are anti-Bush, but no more so than one would expect from any political ad these days.
Old 01-06-2004, 03:43 PM

Default Re: The ad on MoveOn.org

[ QUOTE ]
From what I gather from a moveon.org mailing, someone on Fox News presented a story about the Hitler ads as if moveon.org had created or sponsored them or intended to use them or something. Not true; they were simply two among the many submissions to the contest

[/ QUOTE ]

This is par for the course for moveon.org (and it's loyal groupies), Fox did nothing of the sort. I saw the story live and it was accurately reported as being a contest entry which failed to move on.