Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2004, 10:24 PM

Default I hate the way I played it on every street

Party 3/6. New to the table so no specific reads. I am dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the Button. EP, MP, LP, CO all limp, I raise. SB folds, BB calls, rest call. I considered just limping here and I probably would have if there had been 1 more limper. 6 to the Flop for 12sb.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

All check to me and I bet, only MP and CO fold. I heavily considered checking here, hoping to eliminate some of the field on the Turn with a raise, but I had no idea where the bet would come from, and figured it would just backfire in my face. 4 to the Turn for 16sb (8bb).

Turn: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks, EP bets, LP folds, I raise. My raise here was for two reasons. 1, to charge the BB if he decided to chase, and 2, because I did not think I would be re-raised unless the EP player held an extremely strong hand. I was planning on taking a free showdown unless I improved on the River.

BB calls, EP re-raises. Welp, that plan turned to dogsht. I considered folding it right here, and I think that may have been the best play. But, at the time I thought to myself, it couldn't be right to raise the Turn in such a large pot and then fold to a re-raise. So I think that some of my logic must be off at some point. I decided to call it down. BB calls.

River: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB checks, EP bets, I call, BB folds. Results later.

-Brian
Old 01-04-2004, 10:46 PM

Default Re: I hate the way I played it on every street

[ QUOTE ]
I am dealt A K on the Button. EP, MP, LP, CO all limp, I raise. SB folds, BB calls, rest call. I considered just limping here and I probably would have if there had been 1 more limper. 6 to the Flop for 12sb.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd put the first raise with AKo on the button regardless of how many limpers were in front of me. It may not do as well as well multiway as some other hands, but its still a hell of a lot better than the crap your opponents are playing. I'm sure your raise had value in it.

[ QUOTE ]
All check to me and I bet, only MP and CO fold. I heavily considered checking here

[/ QUOTE ]

You should bet that 100% of the time. You cannot afford to give a free card.

[ QUOTE ]
BB checks, EP bets, LP folds, I raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a raise here is correct. Since you have shown aggresiion throughout this hand and he still felt confident enough to bet into you on the turn, I would take a free showdown unless I improved.

[ QUOTE ]
BB calls, EP re-raises. Welp, that plan turned to dogsht. I considered folding it right here

[/ QUOTE ]

It is time to fold, I suspect you were beat by a set of nines or Aces over Jacks/nines.

Stu
Old 01-04-2004, 10:58 PM

You advocate raising the turn and then checking the river (2 big bets) but advise folding if reraised? Those same 2 bets could be used to call down the EP. Doesn't make sense to me especially since there is no read on any of the players.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:35 PM

Default Given lack of reads, I think you played it perfectly

Preflop: You're hurting yourself if you don't raise.

Flop: Bet here 100% of the time.

Turn: I like the raise for exactly the reasons you mentioned, in addition to the fact that MP could be playing any number of hands you are ahead of (AQd, Axd, etc.) right now. And if you are behind, you have one (maybe 2) Ace(s) and often three Kings that are clean outs (call it 3 outs in case MP's on a set) in a pot laying you better than 15 to 1 after MP 3-bets the turn - more assuming BB's overcall, which is a 99.9% certainty). Combined with the possibility that MP is overplaying one of the hands you're ahead of, this makes calling the 3-bet an easy decision.

River: you need a hell of a read to lay this down. If your A is good one of every 19 times here, the call should be automatic.

[Please note that I was impressed by majorkong's post in the Micro forum and realized that failing to call with decent made hands may be a leak in my own game - so this response is intended not only to reinforce what I think are very sound principles from mk's post, but also to check with the PBs around here to make sure my thinking is correct. I welcome any and all comments and criticisms of my post. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]]
Old 01-04-2004, 11:39 PM

But a raise is always better than 2 calls because it a) gets you information, b) gives you a chance to get the bettor to fold right then and there.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:40 PM

You played fine on every street. What's to hate?

You have to call down. Again, no big laydowns in big pots. It looks like the nine improved your opponent when he 3-bets you on the turn. A9 or 99, I'd guess. You have six outs to beat A9 in a big pot. You can't fold for one more bet.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:53 PM

Raising the turn is the superior play because.

A)more likely to drive the BB out. Increasing your chance to win this pot.

B)Raising the turn may allow you to collect an extra bet those times when the river card improves your hand enough to warrant betting it again.

C)The EP player can only re-raise you if hes is extremely strong. Hes saying, "I don't think you have AA and I can beat AK" When he reraises you can safely fold.

Stu
Old 01-04-2004, 11:56 PM

Default Looks fine to me too. nm

Old 01-05-2004, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't fold for one more bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its At Least two big bets to show it down.

Stu
Old 01-05-2004, 12:05 AM

The raise isn't a terrible play as long as you are willing to call a re-raise. If you aren't then you shouldn't be raising here. Since there is no read on the opponents, IMO there is no way you can throw away top-pair top-kicker. The opponent could be an overly-aggressive player with a flush draw or an A-Q. Even if the re-raise is from a two pair hand you have lots of outs to beat this hand.

My point was this: if you are going to fold to a re-raise then I would just call down the EP.