Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2004, 10:23 AM

Default Axs

Seems fairly typical party table. I do not have a great read on BB, although my first impression is that he plays fairly tight.

Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed)
Rico has 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and is Button

MP1 limps, CO limps, Rico limps, SB limps, BB raises, MP1 calls, CO calls, Rico calls, SB folds

Flop(9 SB): Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets, MP1 calls, CO folds, Rico raises, BB calls, MP1 calls

Turn(7 1/2 BB): T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks, MP1 checks, Rico bets

I was torn on this one on whether I should fold or raise on the flop. While playing the hand, I thought that since I had position, since the pot is of decent size, and since I may have the best hand, I should make a play for it. So I raised the flop, and bet the turn with the intention of folding to a reraise on the turn and planning to check behind if callers remained to the river. Now that I am reviewing this hand, I am wondering if folding the flop might have been the better play.

Axs seems to give me some tough decisions.

--Rico
Old 01-02-2004, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Axs

This is why Ace suited is dangiuos to play. If the flpo has an ace it it you can get in trouble. If youbet and everyone folds you win a small pot. If someone has a bigger kicker than you can lose a lot bigger pot.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:36 AM

Hey biggambler:

So can I infer from your response that you think I should fold the flop?

--Rico
Old 01-02-2004, 11:44 AM

I think the raise on the flop is fine.

I hope you folded to a C/R on the turn. That's one hell of a scary turn card, in addition, to you being possibly behind already.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 01-02-2004, 11:45 AM

Default IMHO YES (EOM)

Old 01-02-2004, 11:46 AM

hey rico,
fold the flop. The key to playing Axs is to know when to let go and to understand what you are playing it for.

A3s I want a flush or flush draw, wheel or draw to it, (preferably with a pair or flush draw as well) or 2 pair.
Your lone ace (no kicker) is crap with that board. Aces with better kickers stomp you on this hand and anyone drawing to the flush may have just gotten there. If you win this hand it will be one of the few that you do in this situation. More often than not you pay this off.

This is a major leak in players games in general. I like to play it in LP like you did, but I know how to get away from it if I don't like the way things shake down.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:50 AM

Hey Joe:

I did not like that turn card either. But would you still have bet the turn?

--Rico
Old 01-02-2004, 11:55 AM

there is an interesting article called "A Bit of Maths: Playing the Weak Ace" if you click here
Old 01-02-2004, 02:39 PM

Yes you bet the turn and take a free showdown on the River. You have the button. Use it! If someone check raise you, then fold. Take a free showdown as the only people who are going to call after calling the turn have you beat.

The alternative is to give a free card and call a single bet on the River. It would cost you the same to get to a showdown, but I prefer to stay the aggressor particularily when I have position.

That turn card will scare everyone else just as much as you. You may get someone with a weak ace or a pair to fold with a bet. That improves your chances of winning. You may win the hand right there.

I don't like playing weak Aces simply because only one of my cards has a chance to make top pair. You hit top pair on the flop. The majority of the time, you will have the only Ace.

Folding top pair Aces on the flop for a single bet would seem to me to be a weak play. Playing weak Aces is a big leak, but so is getting pushed too easily off top pair.

I think you played it fine.

Old 01-02-2004, 02:50 PM

Am I the only one who thinks that Rico should have mucked this PF? When on the button after only two limpers (three including the BB's free play), you don't have anywhere near the implied odds to be trying for the flush draw, and you may well be dominated by an "any ace" limper. It hardly seems worth the effort for the kind of trouble one can find oneself in when you receive an A-high flop with no flush potential.