Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2003, 07:51 PM

Default Bad Play Turned Great Play Turned Awful Play

Early Position called with J 4 spades. Knew it was bad play but got impatient. Raised by mid position player then reraised by big blind due to the fact I was trapped I capped. Flop comes K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Im first to act and bet with 2 pair. Raised by Mid re raised by BB and I cap. Turn is Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Same action as before. River shoots blank. I know that I should not be in this hand in the first place but by the time I realized that Pot odds were to great to fold with two pair.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Bad Play Turned Great Play Turned Awful Play

When did it turn into a great play?
Old 12-31-2003, 08:14 PM

Your right it was never a great play but from what I have seen 2 pair on the flop is decent. There was a flush draw and straight draw on the board. Would you have folded if you made the original mistake I made or would you never do such a thing?
Old 12-31-2003, 08:58 PM

A good way to make up for your mistake of limping in with that hand would have been to fold when the big blind made it 3 bets.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Knew it was bad play but got impatient. Raised by mid position player then reraised by big blind due to the fact I was trapped I capped.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear you get to play every hand in black jack.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:04 PM

I knew I would get crap for that hand and it is not my norm but I guess it was a hunch hand. What would you do after flop?
Old 12-31-2003, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I knew I would get crap for that hand and it is not my norm but I guess it was a hunch hand. What would you do after flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, but let's just make it clear it's not good to go on hunch hands or to use that as an excuse. I'm guessing you're going to reply saying you don't normally -- however, this is just something to consider.

First, I'd call the 3-bet on the flop instead of capping.

Second, I would let go of the hand somewhere on the turn. Based on how you played the flop, and with your post leading me to believe the BB once again check/raised everyone on the turn, I would fold on the turn when it is 3 bets to me and I've put in one. Since you capped the flop, the BB rightly assumed you'd bet out again on the turn, and was once again able to check/raise both of you. I smell set.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:18 PM

I would fold on that board when I bet the turn and it gets raised and re-raised.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:34 PM

Given the fact that everyone involved in this hand put in a raise before the flop; And also with the flop action, which hands do you think are a possibilty for the other two players?

I guess AA and AK are possiblities.

But anyways, if I had made it that far with this hand, you have to slow down on the turn. you just capped the flop and they keep raising. Bottom two is far from a cinch.

But I think you broke a record with the most bets put in up to the river with J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] .

Good show.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:38 PM

Well it turned out that Mid player had A 10 off and BB had king queen off. So MId was betting on gut shot straight and BB was betting on top pair after flop. I had both of them beat to the turn where I got smoked and rightfully so. MId landed a nice pot with the nuttz straight and BB had 2 pair Ks and Qs. If you have mid and low pair after flop what would be your winning percentage. I thought that it would be high but I dont know.