Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2003, 12:43 PM

Default I\'m a big fat wuss

$100 NL table at party, 8 players.

MP calls $2 (I have a note on him as "tricky, agressive and makes good laydowns"), cutoff calls (unknown), SB folds and I check with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I have about $125, MP has $130 and cutoff is just below $100.

Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I bet out $5 hoping to pick it up right there and get called by both.

Turn is 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I check, planning to check-raise. MP bets out $20 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], cutoff calls [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] and I'm suddenly not sure what to do. I expected MP to bet, but what could the cutoff have to be calling?

I'm almost certain that MP has an ace with a strong kicker and is betting the scare card (he would have bet less if he actually had the flush), but I'm not sure what to think about the cutoff.

I know that this is either a raise/fold scenario and after some agonizing, decide that, not knowing enough about the cutoff, I'll give him credit for a made hand and fold.

Good fold?

Old 12-28-2003, 01:50 PM

Default Re: I\'m a big fat wuss

I'd put him on Ax off with the ace being of hearts. I'd put in a raise and see if both still call, if the river is another heart and you unknown player is still in then get out as your 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] probably isnt any good.
Old 12-28-2003, 03:54 PM

This is EXACTLY why I think checking these faux-strong hands is a mistake. You don't want to milk a nine-high flush. Another heart could fall, the board could pair, someone could already be sitting on a ten-high flush; there are too many dangers. You also open yourself up to situations like this where a bet might have gained you useful information.

The call from the cutoff is worrisome but I am not convinced it means a "made hand" in the sense of a better flush. He could be on AX with the Ace of hearts, AT or something similar. Remember that the flop only cost $2 so you could have some pretty marginal hands in there that hit on the flop.

Personally, I think there is a large chance that your flush is good and you should reraise.

SpaceAce
Old 12-28-2003, 07:12 PM

his most likely hand is A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] x, but a higher flush is certainly not impossible. however, you already goofed by not betting out with this hand on the turn. if someone is going to bluff when the third heart hits, they'll bet big. and if you're afraid of the big bet, why check to induce a bluff? betting out allows you to play the hand with much more accuracy.

here i would probably go all-in. there is virtually no chance the cutoff has you beat, and an all-in is superior to a call unless MP is a habitual bluffer.