Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2003, 07:56 PM

Default Lay these Aces down?

$1-$2 NLHE game. Been alternating between battle for the blinds and 5 limpers a hand, seemingly without reason.

In this hand, It's folded to the Button ($134) Who limps. SB folds, I have AA in the BB. I make it $7 to go. He calls.

Flop is QT3 rainbow. I bet $15. He makes it $60 to go.

Raise, call or fold.

Old 12-18-2003, 08:10 PM

Default Re: Lay these Aces down?

fold the aces, on the button he has a hand good enough to limp in with, but not raise, since he all ready called $2 its not that unreasonable to think he may call again with pocket 3's or Q-10, he could possibly slow play a pocket pair as well, the fact he re-raised you on the flop is dangerous. he may have hit two pair or a set. I would only call if you felt he was a player who constantly buys pots, if not fold.
by the way I liked the raise pre-flop, that was probably the correct amount, maybe could have done $10
Old 12-18-2003, 08:23 PM

i don't know about folding, but a call vs. raise debate sounds like fun here. if you call, presumably you'll bet all in on any turn card but a queen. the risk is that if he raised you on a bluff or KJ and a queen turns, you'll throw away the best hand. if you push in now, he'll presumably call unless he's on a pure bluff, and will also call the turn all-in. the advantage is that if a queen turns, you will probably wish you could have gotten away from the hand. i think i prefer the all-in to the fold, but it's close.

based on the bet sizes, i assume this is UB. that bet pot button really hurts the psychology of no-limit. since a lot of players like to just click bet pot with anything, i'd probably feel comfortable playing this hand for all my chips. remember, he open limped and then didn't reraise you, so QQ or TT is very unlikely.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:34 PM

Aces,
What kind of player is the button? And how big is your stack? That's an awful large raise the button stuck in there. Looks like he's trying to protect his hand or take it down with a big semi-bluff. If you've got $10 bucks left I'd call in an instant, but if you've got $130 left I'd think for a second and then go all in - just joking.

I think most average players won't expect you to raise HU with AA pre flop, so I still think with a raise that large he's trying to protect a hand or hoping to win it right there with a draw. So, I'd push it in.
Old 12-18-2003, 08:35 PM

I could see this person not raising on the button with a pocket pair, is it really worth an extra raise on the button for $4, I don't think so, a slow play is more likely, especially with the call after his bet. Now that being said, he could have had any pocket pair, 10's or higher, I still think the Q-10 is possible. I think he had a hand.
However, if the player bluffed, what a move, you would have to give him props for that.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
don't know about folding, but a call vs. raise debate sounds like fun here. if you call, presumably you'll bet all in on any turn card but a queen. the risk is that if he raised you on a bluff or KJ and a queen turns, you'll throw away the best hand. if you push in now, he'll presumably call unless he's on a pure bluff, and will also call the turn all-in. the advantage is that if a queen turns, you will probably wish you could have gotten away from the hand. i think i prefer the all-in to the fold, but it's close.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is interesting, Crock. I had originally written in my post:

[ QUOTE ]
Raise or fold? I'll assume no one would just call here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a play I'll have to consider in the future.

And yes is was UB, and I hate the bet pot button. Although in NLHE I rarely bet the pot (Usually overbet it PF and underbet it PF).
Old 12-18-2003, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of player is the button? And how big is your stack? That's an awful large raise the button stuck in there. Looks like he's trying to protect his hand or take it down with a big semi-bluff. If you've got $10 bucks left I'd call in an instant, but if you've got $130 left I'd think for a second and then go all in - just joking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know nothing about the player. I don't play at UB enough to keep notes, and rarely play NLHE. I will say I'd been getting pushed around a bit on this table and had made some (correct) big folds.

I had 140$ in this hand and he had about 5$ less. So his raise really threatens my whole stack.

Old 12-18-2003, 09:15 PM

Although in NLHE I rarely bet the pot (Usually overbet it PF and underbet it PF).

way to separate your preflop and postflop play into a clearly understandable dichotomy.

by the way, this flat call is somewhat similar to the play described in PL and NL Poker where stewart reuben bets his A-K top pair and gets raised by a possible draw, then waits to see if the turn card missed him to put his chips in. it's just a less obvious application.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
by the way, this flat call is somewhat similar to the play described in PL and NL Poker where stewart reuben bets his A-K top pair and gets raised by a possible draw, then waits to see if the turn card missed him to put his chips in. it's just a less obvious application.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that you mention it I recall that section. And it is a play I use in PLO, example when I flop top set on a board like KQ8s. Bet and get raised with plenty of money left, here I prefer to see a safe turn card and then move in.

[ QUOTE ]
Although in NLHE I rarely bet the pot (Usually overbet it PF and underbet it PF).

way to separate your preflop and postflop play into a clearly understandable dichotomy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meaning what exactly?
Old 12-18-2003, 09:29 PM

i'm no english major, but isn't the point of abbreviations that you create a different one for each possible situation?