Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you are short-stacked and your opponent has you covered by a lot, do you let his bet size affect
often 0 0%
rarely 5 29.41%
never 12 70.59%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2003, 02:18 PM

Default all-in amount when opponent is covered (survey)

Suppose your playing on-line and you wish to set your lone opponent all-in. Assume you have significantly more chips (say double or more). How much do you bet?

For example, if you have $100 and your opponent has $32.60, would you type in 32.60, move the slider to 38 or something like that, or just move the slider all the way to the right?

I usually move all my chips in because I think it is fun to make big bets even though I know I am only risking far less.

Any comments? Do you think the all-in method says anything about the bettor?

Paul
Old 12-16-2003, 02:43 PM

Default Re: all-in amount when opponent is covered (survey)

I don't like pushing my whole gigantic stack unless I'm trying to get people not to call.

I'd either bet a whole dollar amount slightly over what he has, or a whole dollar amount at about 80% of what he has in the hopes that he'll think I'm a little weak and push all in (which is the right thing to do if he's going to call the 80%).

Then again, it depends on your read of what will work. Very aggressive players will often take your full push as an attempt to bluff them out, and will call. I guess I don't know.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:16 PM

My answer depends on what I am trying to achieve. For instance, if I believe I am ahead but feel there is a very small chance I am behind, I will sometimes enter the exact amount of the opponent's stack. This tends to spook people, especially if the card that just fell was a scare card for the hand I think they have or are trying to make. Other times, depending on the opponent and what kind of draw or hand I have them on, I will shove my whole stack in. When someone sees you comitting your whole stack, it looks serious. That's like saying, "My hand is so strong I don't have time to play around with the little slider bar."

SpaceAce
Old 12-16-2003, 03:30 PM

An interesting question. Before reading this I didn't realize how one goes all-in could be a tell. So when discussing an all-in question (should I call?), a piece of information to consider is how did the guy go all in? (bet exact amount, just over, entire stack).
Old 12-16-2003, 03:57 PM

I thought it might be a tell also, so I made the decision to always move all-in when I face this decision.

Of course, that brings up the old dilemma, that by always doing a thing the same way you give up the opportunity to manipulate your opponents by doing the thing in a different way.

Paul
Old 12-16-2003, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it might be a tell also, so I made the decision to always move all-in when I face this decision.

Of course, that brings up the old dilemma, that by always doing a thing the same way you give up the opportunity to manipulate your opponents by doing the thing in a different way.

Paul

[/ QUOTE ]

I think always playing any certain way is a mistake. In some situations you always make the same move because nothing else makes sense but when it comes to something truly variable like how you go all-in or whether you go all-in at all, I don't think you should have a predetermined way to go about it every single time.

SpaceAce
Old 12-16-2003, 04:39 PM

Default Re: addendum poll

Old 12-16-2003, 04:57 PM

I always move all-in in this situation. I play on Partypoker, and the average pot size is affected by how much is bet, not how much is called. By moving all-in like this I inflate the average pot-size, which in turn attracts more people to the table. I like full tables, and the illusion of action helps with keeping my tables full.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:40 PM

Something I have done twice, when wanting a call, is to pique curiosity by betting 1c less than the opponent's stack.

Of course this is a massive tell if you do it regularly.

It did make me chuckle to be reraised all-in: 1c more, tough decision. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Guy.

Old 12-16-2003, 06:46 PM

i find that when i want a call, i only bet what he has, hoping that it won't look as intimidating as what i have. and when i don't want a call, i bet what i have, hoping to make it seem more powerful