Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2003, 11:08 PM

Default 5-5 NL Hand (Part 1)

The game is a pretty good 5-5, 10 to go, NL game (9 handed). You have QQ UTG and bring it in for 20 bucks (starting the deal with 900). There are 4 cold callers (!) including the button, who is a very aggressive player with deep money (2.5 K). The pot is 110.

Flop: Qc-2c-7c.

Question #1: What's your play?
Old 12-11-2003, 02:49 AM

Default Re: 5-5 NL Hand (Part 1)

Don't check! ... unless you are thinking about checkraising the button, but that could get messy with steals, resteals.

No time to mess about. No worries if everyone folds either.

Behind:

No time to fold either, you have your redraw + precentage of the time they hold AQo QKo (draw) or sets. So the -EV 1/3 of your cash you put in when you are up against a made flush is made up by the times you'll be putting your money in leading.

Summary, the moneys going in, in a fashion to charge any draws, get action from made hands or to not care if it's folded around.

edit: after reading the deep money, there's a small chance i may fold eventually, but not from the button if i felt he'd reraise AKs, maybe if he is a 67s coldcaller.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:54 PM

Believe me, if everyone folds here when I bet the pot, I'm a truly happy man. I'm NOT trying to "suck" value out of people here, unless I can get all the money in with multiple callers, which is unlikely (plus I think only the button and I had more than 500 behind, anyway). I'm also not enamored with throwing away top set. This hand really sucks, no matter which way you look at it, and that's why I posted it.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:54 AM

JA,

I think you should pot it and go with your read from there. I don't like checkraising the button so much because it will often put you in the position of committing 1/3 - 1/2 of your stack with little more information than you have now. The players between you and the button could easily check a high made flush on the flop, figuring he will bet. So you could be in a position of putting in 400 or so without really knowing anything about what's out there. Plus the free card possibility.

I also don't really like a big under or overbet. The underbet just gives good odds to draw for players with a high club and encourages aggression from the button. The overbet implies weakness in its own way and gives you fewer option if raised - any raise at that point will be committing to a showdown with you, and not give you the option of putting in a last raise that might (though probably not) get a low made flush to fold.

So yeah, pot it or maybe make it 80-90. Not exactly a revolutionary strategy. But that's part of what makes it best here. IMHO.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:14 AM

I don't know anything. I'm posting this to see if you guys think I'm thinking right.

You're either a 3-1 favourite or 2-1 dog against hands that will give action on this flop, and you don't know which.

I don't think you can check. If you do and it gets checked to the button, who bets, you're in a terrible position with three to act behind you, any of whom might have checked the flush. If it gets checked around, someone might hit their draw for nothing.

I think it's much better to bet through the field and see what happens. You'll only get action here from flushes, flush draws, and people who want to bluff you, I think. If you have any sort of a read, a bet gives you a good chance of playing it right from here on.

A really tricky player might flat call you with nothing/a draw and make his bluff on the turn, which would be awful. Is anyone that tricky here?

Icky situation. Look for a queen on the turn.

Guy.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Question #1: What's your play?

[/ QUOTE ]

What color chips do you have?

If all red, grab a stack and put it in there. If you want to be cute, grab a couple extra and toss them in too.

If you have black and red, toss in 5 black and 5 red.

If you have white, black, and red, toss in 2 white and a couple of other chips (at random is fine).
Old 12-11-2003, 05:44 AM

this is funny..
checking with the intention of checking-raising the aggressive button seems like a bad idea, getting check-reraised would suck a lot here. i would bet pot and take it from there.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:30 AM

You know, if that other queen would have flopped i'd be drunk by now.

Instead of thinking about the best play i think you should become closer to the poker gods.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:50 PM

Your comment about the poker gods is quite true. You have no idea how bad things have been for me lately.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:49 PM

Default PART 2:

OK, so far, I don't think anyone would disagree with what I did.

I bet close the pot, 100 bucks, because that's a stack of red chips and that was convenient. It's folded to the button. He makes it 500 straight to go.

Question 2: Do you push in, fold, or call (I'm just including this choice to be thorough).