Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2003, 12:57 AM

Default Vick

As brilliant as he is there is no way he can have a productive and long NFL career the way he allows himself to take hits. His frame simply can't handle it, and unless he starts playing smarter, he's going to have many seasons just like this one where he misses a ton of games.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:38 AM

Default Re: Vick

Why can a running back take all those hits running but a quarterback cannot? That being said, he took some big pops tonight.

His running is simply unbelievable.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:36 AM

Agreed. One of the best in the game at avoiding hits is Marvin Harrison. For how many catches he makes across the middle, he's always in the game.

Superstars help their team more when they are in the game...

But, damn, he's gonna be fun to watch for 7 games every year.

J
Old 12-08-2003, 04:49 AM

For one thing, a running back is not expected to be involved in every offensive play. If they are banged up you can give them a rest or run a pass, etc.

KJS
Old 12-08-2003, 12:57 PM

But the running backs can't take all those hits. The average career of a running back is quite short. Some exceptional backs last a long time so you notice them. But then there are the Terrell Davises or Gale Sayers who don't last. And a lot of guys who you don't think about.

Old 12-08-2003, 01:32 PM

Thats true. But a running back carries the ball 20-30 times a game where Vick might only carry it 10-12 times a game.

I am not trying to argue that Vick should run a lot. I am just curious why a shot to a QB is somewhat worse than a shot to a running back.

I always thought that it was because if some slow QB decides to run than the defense will just tee off on him. However, with Vick they are just trying to stop him.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:41 PM

Running backs are generally shorter ( lower center of gravity) and have more muscle mass to protect their frame. Thus they are better protected.

Also, Running backs can play with all sorts of injuries that would take a QB out of the game.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:19 PM

"I am not trying to argue that Vick should run a lot. I am just curious why a shot to a QB is somewhat worse than a shot to a running back."

It's not necessarily but I would think that a QB getting blind sided when they're a sitting duck in the pocket is much worse than taking a blow when running with the ball. Elway did his share of running and managed to have a long carreer. Elway missed some games but not that many over a long career.

"I always thought that it was because if some slow QB decides to run than the defense will just tee off on him. However, with Vick they are just trying to stop him."

I think that's right. I don't know the stats on circumstances that cause the injuries that lead QB's to miss games but I would guess that most of them occur when their protection breaks down and they're hit behind the line of scrimmage.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:47 PM

Slightly off topic, but in class today one of my students claimed 'Man, Michael Vick is awesome! He's the best quarterback in the NFL!!' After telling him to quiet down and sit in his seat, I began to think about a couple things:

1) Who IS the best quarterback in the NFL? By this I mean, you have to win 1 game, your defense/offense is already picked out, but you can choose any QB you want (at full health, obviously). Who do you pick?

2) What QB do you want to start a franchise with? Is it Vick? And is it close?

I ask these questions because I'm not really a huge football fan, but I've just recently started to follow it and would like to know your opinions.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:50 PM

If I had to win one game, I think I would choose Vick. He is capable of practically winning the game by himself.