Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2003, 07:33 PM

Default Bring on the College Football Playoff Baby

With USC the #1 ranked team in both polls being shut out of the BCS championship game this is the best chance yet for a long-awaited D-1 college football playoff. If this isn't enough to get the playoff started when the BCS contract comes up then nothing is.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Bring on the College Football Playoff Baby

This is thew best thing that could have happened to college football IMHO.
Old 12-07-2003, 08:20 PM

Default call me cynical

but doesnt it seem like too much of a coincidence that the BCS somehow finds a way to get OU v. LSU in New Orleans and USC v. Michigan in Pasadena? Its pretty obvious that from a revenue generating standpoint this is by far the most desirable outcome.

Old 12-07-2003, 09:01 PM

This is hilarious. Granted, what I root for is the biggest controversy. When it comes to college sports, I want to see point shaving, drug scandals, under the table pay to players, etc.... Particularly at tax funded institutions. I thought it was funny that the BCS was so bad that congress had hearings. It made both congress and the BCS look worse, which is difficult. (How congress has any interest in college sports scares and confuses me.)

But I like the old system where fat cigar smoking good ole boys in plaid sports coats had their bowl games and let teh ink stained wretches decide who was best. That was an obvious sham, but it made for much better sports talk on the radio and New Years Day had bowls that meant something. And I liked all the scenarious where if the number one team lost by a little and the #3 team won in a blowout, then the dark horse could sneak in, etc.... This year the Rose Bowl has a traditional matchup that should result in a split national championship if USC wins. I love it.

A playoff is OK, and much better than the BCS, but I would love it if the BCS were scrapped and it was the old way. Good teams went to the traditional NYD bowls and the Weiser Lock Copper Bowls and Poulan Weedeater Bowls invited teams that traveled well or were interesting and it was a big party.

I assume like 1% of the population agrees w/ me. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2003, 09:27 PM

I assume like 1% of the population agrees w/ me.

Everybody at last night's 3-6 game agreed with you, so it may be closer to 100%. We'd have to ask a statistical sampling expert.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:52 PM

Default Re: [censored] College Football Playoffs

[ QUOTE ]
...I would love it if the BCS were scrapped and it was the old way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you 100% HDPM.

Count me in for the 1% gang. [censored] the BCS. The point is college does not need nor should it have a playoff system. It's college football - not pro football (or it's not suppose to be anyway). Anyone that thinks College football needs a playoff system should be hung from a goalpost. The old way using a voting system just illuminated the sham of democracy. It was fun and grand and stupid all at the same time - very American.

-Zeno

Old 12-07-2003, 11:15 PM

If Jason White wins the Heisman, I am boycotting college fb next fall.

and anyone can hold me to it.

-AA
Old 12-07-2003, 11:58 PM

I would really like to see an 8-team playoff with either the quarters or semis played Jan. 1. Barring that I would way rather go back to the old system than keep the BCS around. At least the old system didn't try to pretend like it was crowning a true champion and gave me Big-10 vs. Pac-10 in the Rose Bowl every year. Too bad the Gophers haven't been in almost 40 stinking years.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:08 AM

It's all useless anyway because any game that allows its results to be determined by changing the rules in overtime is bogus. It would be like having a home run derby when baseball games are tied, or a 3-point shooting contest when basketball games are tied, or a closest to the pin contest in a golf tournament.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:13 AM

Default Re: call me cynical

Actually, apparently some people in New Orleans are displeased that LSU made the Sugar Bowl because Baton Rougites don't stay in hotels... they drive home for the evening.