Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2003, 07:53 AM

Default 99 hand versus a maniac

Party 10/20 ring game. I am dealt 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the BB. Unknown EP limps, MP who is a loose player but plays decently post-Flop limps, maniac on the Button raises, I call, limpers call. 4 to the Flop for 8sb.

Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check, limpers check, maniac bets, I raise, EP limper folds, MP cold-calls, Button calls. At this point, I was willing to give my hand up. With no draws on the Flop, I thought the MP player probably had a Ten. 3 to the Turn for 14sb (7bb).

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check, MP checks, Button bets, I fold. Results later.

-Brian
Old 12-05-2003, 08:34 AM

Default Re: 99 hand versus a maniac

[ QUOTE ]
Party 10/20 ring game. I am dealt 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the BB. Unknown EP limps, MP who is a loose player but plays decently post-Flop limps, maniac on the Button raises, I call

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you consider 3-betting here? If I thought there's a reasonable chance one of the two limpers would fold, I'd definitely 3-bet here.

[ QUOTE ]
I check, limpers check, maniac bets, I raise

[/ QUOTE ]
OK.

[ QUOTE ]
I check

[/ QUOTE ]
Right here is where I like a vehn-like bet-and-fold-to-a-raise. If I'm feeling saucy, I'll think about checkraising the button again, though.... Whether or not I actually do that depends on a lot of stuff. Actually, it doesn't, 'cause I'd bet.

[ QUOTE ]
Button bets, I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you fold 'cause Button bet or 'cause you thought MP was getting ready to fire out a checkraise? This is cool when MP checkraises. It's less cool when Button shows A5 on the river and MP takes it down w/ 66.
Old 12-05-2003, 08:57 AM

I think just calling preflop here is better as its a perfect spot to set up the trap (TM) (see winning low limit holdem by Lee Jones, calling out of the small blind vs. a late position raise with the intention of check-raising flop)
Old 12-05-2003, 09:02 AM

I'd raise the turn, hoping for MP to fold. Keep charging till I find resistance, if/then call all the way to the river. IMO you folded a likely best hand.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:03 AM

Hey Ulysses,

I considered re-raising to attempt to isolate the maniac pre-Flop, but I did not think that it would eliminate the field any. I also did not want to be playing in a 3 or 4 way multi-raised pot out of position with a pair of 9's. As for the check-fold, yes, I folded because I thought that MP was going to check-raise. As soon as he cold-called, I gave my hand up. The Queen on the Turn didn't help matters either.

-Brian
Old 12-05-2003, 12:40 PM

The cold call of the raise usually gives up that they have the ten. There's nothing else on the board they could have, unless they are that stupid to call with two overcards (or even one). Can't see it. You're beat. Fold.

al
Old 12-05-2003, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The cold call of the raise usually gives up that they have the ten. There's nothing else on the board they could have, unless they are that stupid to call with two overcards (or even one).

[/ QUOTE ]

Small pocket pairs are another possibility in this situation.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:27 PM

small pocket pairs may be a possibility, but I generally look for better place to play my nines. it's going to cost a lot to get to the river, and any future raises you see are surely going to mean you're beat. I prefer to usually save the cash instead of getting beat, particularly with more than one opponent.

al
Old 12-05-2003, 01:52 PM

I see people calling with small pairs all the time here. How about bet and fold to a c/r on the turn. If MP just calls the turn, then check-call the river.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:44 PM

Default Results

Turn:

Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check, MP checks, Button bets, I fold. MP raises, Button calls.

River: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

MP bets, Button calls.

MP has K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Button has A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Well, even maniacs get dealt AA on occasion... I certainly didn't read him for that, but I guess that's the one strength of being a maniac.

-Brian