Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2003, 03:20 AM

Default Should I do it mike l. style and stop playing those small pairs?

Different very loose, very aggressive Party 10-20 6-max game.

Button, who raises anytime it's folded to him, raises. I'm in SB w/ 4c4h. BB defends w/ just about anything and doesn't care if it's two bets or three, but can fold if he misses. I decide to see a flop and go from there - I call. BB doesn't oblige and 3-bets. Dammit. Now button caps, which he'll do on principle. Dammit. There's a lot of chips in the middle. OK. I call. Maybe nobody has a pair. Maybe I'll flop quads. I don't know.

** Dealing Flop ** : [ 7h, 7c, 2h ]

OK. That's my flop. Checked to Button PFR/capper. He bets. I checkraise. BB cold-calls. Button calls. I like my hand.

** Dealing Turn ** : [ 6h ]

I bet. Both call.

** Dealing River ** : [ 2s ]

I bet.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:43 AM

Default Re: Should I do it mike l. style and stop playing those small pairs?

From what I've read about Party Poker your hand is rock solid [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Personally I would have been a little concerned when called on the river but I'm guessing you got called by an Ace high hand.
Old 12-05-2003, 03:46 AM

Hi Ulysses,

with specific knowledge that the big blind will call for any amount of bets, I think this is a fold.

I'm trying to decide whether or not I like how you played it post flop. I cannot decide whether or not he has an overpair, or ace-high. Or pocket threes. Then again, this would have been a bit easier if you folded pre-flop.

Thinking about it a little more, I think I like it all but the river bet. From their angle, you've represented just about every big hand out there -- trips on the flop, and you bet again when the flush card came. Yet they still called, including the guy you said can release a hand when he misses. Even the most aggressive players will back off when the board looks that unfriendly.

Then again, you might get a call from AX on the river, which would make sense if they called you down trying to hit a medium or high heart, or trying to make a pair.

-Diplomat
Old 12-05-2003, 03:56 AM

hi ulysses
not a good pre-flop call. i know that this won't be popular advice, but the main problem here is your poor position. yes, the button is steal-raising, but because the BB is aggressive and plays lively out of the BB, you need to fold this pre-flop and save your fight for a better field conditions. here, your not getting anywhere near the 5 to 1 needed. post flop you played it perfectly. and yes, i know that you knew ahead of time that you would play it perfect. but too often playing perfectly post flop means laying it down about half the time. you need to see how this hand plays perfectly from all aspects, including all the lay-downs, when you visualize your perfect post flop play. often, playing perfect only saves money and doesn't make money. you actually save more money folding perfectly pre-flop.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
with specific knowledge that the big blind will call for any amount of bets, I think this is a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. If I can't 3-bet and get heads-up, I should fold. I know. You're right.

[ QUOTE ]
you bet again when the flush card came.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK. I have to admit something here. I was playing 3 tables, as usual. When the turn hit, I was like "Six? That doesn't change anything." I didn't even notice that it was a third heart. In fact, I didn't even notice that until I posted the hand. Oops.

[ QUOTE ]
Even the most aggressive players will back off when the board looks that unfriendly.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, the three hearts are a little unfriendly. But with that much action pre-flop, I don't find two deuces or two sevens all that scary. Agreed?
Old 12-05-2003, 04:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
post flop you played it perfectly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. At least maybe I got that part right.

[ QUOTE ]
not a good pre-flop call. i know that this won't be popular advice, but the main problem here is your poor position.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why shouldn't it be popular? It's correct.

[ QUOTE ]
yes, the button is steal-raising, but because the BB is aggressive and plays lively out of the BB, you need to fold this pre-flop and save your fight for a better field conditions.

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly. Well said.

[ QUOTE ]
you actually save more money folding perfectly pre-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, exactly.

Welcome back, Elysium.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't find two deuces or two sevens all that scary. Agreed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yeah. To you. Because you are betting. But what does your action and that board say to them?

-Diplomat
Old 12-05-2003, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well yeah. To you. Because you are betting. But what does your action and that board say to them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I see what you're saying. But my point was simply that the deuces and sevens on the board don't really make it all that scary to anyone involved in the hand after all that pre-flop action. (Ignoring the hearts for a second) I think in this spot a lot of times everyone is thinking something like "well, nobody else has a seven or a deuce, and nobody thinks I have a seven or a deuce (or a six), so it'll probably come down to whoever had the best two cards pre-flop."
Old 12-05-2003, 11:02 AM

I'm guessing the BB had Pocket Nines. Hopefully he had big slick.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:54 AM

Default Results

Yup, shouldn't have seen the flop w/ this one. But post-flop I thought I'd feel a little more heat if one of these guys actually had a big overpair. And if they didn't raise me on the turn, they probably won't raise me on the river. And I think they'll call w/ more hands than they bet with. And I was going to call a river bet anyway. So, I like my bet on the end.

Anyway, my hand was good. First guy called. He had AcKc. Second guy folded.