Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2003, 12:33 AM

Default fold preflop, fold on flop, check turn, or check river, or played fine

I was playing in a lower limit 4-8 game at hollywood park with my friend who had a bit of bank roll problems. We sit to seats away from each other. He's on my right. Typically he's a fairly tight player for 4-8 but prone to getting loose when he's up or down. He's also capable of folding good hands for a single bet. It's a crazy game. people r playing j2 k4 and the pot isn't raised that often but there's a few capped pots preflop where the best hand is kq offsuit or something similar. I haven't won a hand in a few hours and look down at A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in UTG plus 1. Now i know it's a group six hand and is a fold but it's the best i've seen and the game is so loose with 6 players to a lot of flops i decide to play since i figure it will probally be cheap. 6 of us see the flop including my friend in the BB. flop comes 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. small blind bets. My friend raises. In this spot he would probally raise with 89 or a 10 with a J or better kicker as well as anything better. Although a set would probally have been slowplayed. I decide it's fold or rr to get heads up and stop the overcards from killing me since the 3 players behind me will probally call 2 bets with just overcards but not 3. Hand wasn't weak enought to fold imo given my friends raising standards so i decide to rr. All fold inclding original better except my friend who has to think about calling for a bit and reluctantly puts his chips in the pot. Turn is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] my friend checks and I bet. Right now i would really like a fold right now. He hesitates again but can't bring himself to fold the hand. River is another blank and he checks to me I debate betting or checking but decide there's a decent chance he might actually muck a better hand than mine, and if he does call i'm hoping for something like 10K or 10Q. I decide to bet and he calls. I think most of the streets r at least fairly debatable. What would u have done differently. I'll post results below
Old 12-01-2003, 02:00 AM

Default Re: fold preflop, fold on flop, check turn, or check river, or played fine

Playing A-T in early position in this type of game can tet you into trouble. So the pre-flop limp is debatable.

After that, I like your play and would have done exactly as you did. You can't fold top pair, top kicker on the flop and the 3-bet eliminated all the other players, giving your hand the best chance to hold up. When a small card comes on the turn and he checks, I would bet again, not wanting to give him a free chance to outdraw me. And when another small card comes on the river, I'd still like my chances of my hand being best.
Old 12-01-2003, 02:26 AM

Default Re: fold preflop, fold on flop, check turn, or check river, or played fine

well my friend showed me 72 and took it down, but told me he was extremely close to folding it a for the 3 bet and on the turn. By the river he had comitted himself
Old 12-01-2003, 02:49 PM

Default I\'ll go out on a limb

Preflop I'll leave it at "a bit sketchy, at best."

On the flop I LIKE the three bet.

I see no reason to do anything but bet the turn.

The river is less certain but I'd probably throw caution to the wind and value bet it. I think your read was about right.

al
Old 12-01-2003, 02:53 PM

Default AAARGH! GAG! COUGH!!!!! SPUTTER!!!!!!

Despite the result I still like it, except for the pre-flop business. I thought I would be dissenting in my opinion but I see Andy also agreed.

al
Old 12-01-2003, 03:31 PM

well my friend showed me 72 and took it down, but told me he was extremely close to folding it a for the 3 bet and on the turn. By the river he had comitted himself

My question is this what hand that you limp with up front besides maybe 10-10 or 7-7(debatable) can he not beat? For him to say he was considering a fold means your playing overly weak or overly tight IMO. The hands I mentioned though I would assume your gonna raise in a loose passive 4-8 game to thin field. Just some thoughts I could be wrong!!!

Swiss Cheese
Old 12-01-2003, 04:35 PM

I DON'T THINK THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH WHAT YOU DID.

the preflop call was close, but given the game condition - loose, passive - you can play for one bet most of the times and most of the times people will play with much worse hands. so i think a call was OK. fold is about the same here. Raise would be wrong.

Turn + river are very straight forward. except i'd check to my friend on turn and river, because we soft-play each other. LOL [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2003, 04:40 PM

Default Re: AAARGH! GAG! COUGH!!!!! SPUTTER!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
I thought I would be dissenting in my opinion but I see Andy also agreed.

[/ QUOTE ]
i also agreed too [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2003, 05:47 PM

Try not to play a hand based on the fact that it's the nicest hand you've seen in a while.

PokerPrince
Old 12-01-2003, 05:58 PM

Hi theriverwild,

You should try as soon as possible to start thinking of hands in terms other than "groups". There are plenty of Group 6 hands that are playable in this situation, such as 55 and 66. There are also plenty of group 4 and 5 hands that should be folded here, like JTo, QJo, etc.

-Brian