Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2003, 07:01 PM

Default Getting out when the fireworks start...

Paradise 1/2 Average Table

I'm in MP, and dealt 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Folded to me and I openlimp, CO calls, button calls, SB completes, BB checks...it should be noted that the button will play any single paint and will bet and raise aggressively whenever he hits any part of the flop....

3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet, CO raises, button reraises (!?), folded back to me and I fold, CO caps, button calls.

[3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Bet, raise, reraise, and button caps all-in

[3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

CO showed A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Button showed K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

...and my nines would have been good [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Was this a good fold on the flop, after a raise and a reraise? While I knew that the button was capable of nonsense betting, I also knew he could easily have been playing A3o, K3o, 34o, etc. In addition, I had no reason to believe that the CO was maniacal. Consequently, I decided to get out on the flop rather than coldcall two more and possibly have to throw in another bet before even seeing the turn.

Was I just a wuss?
Old 11-18-2003, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Getting out when the fireworks start...

If the button will play the hands you describe I think the fold is good.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:32 PM

I think you have to raise this hand in MP when its folded to you. Either fold it or raise it, but calling just seems terrible. As for the rest of the hand... well... it becomes a lot easier once you've raised PF
Old 11-19-2003, 06:29 AM

I completely agree with ThingDo. I would raise pre-flop as rkiray knows [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2003, 09:47 AM

i prob would have done the same as you right or wrong. You more or less represented a 3 and where raised not once but twice.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:30 AM

That's a raising hand from MP.

The way things played out, it was going to be tough to stay through till the end.

Why are you playing with these 2 on your left? Table change please!
Old 11-19-2003, 12:10 PM

Had you open-raised your nines, you would have a better idea if you needed to worry about a trey.

Aces McGee
Old 11-19-2003, 12:44 PM

Actually Guido I've changed my mind about this. I now raise this hand first in. I'd just call if there was a limper ahead of me though. Everyone can learn.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:19 PM

Raise PF - but i'm betting everyone else is going to say that.

However - i must have seen about 20 (ok probably not 20) flops similar to this last night. ($1/$2 at Truepoker) I have absolutely no clue on how to play a flop that has paired cards, that I have no part of.

I'll play my pair on the flop, think I'm good, then all of a sudden someone goes buckwild on the turn because they have the three of a kind.

Is it generally better to check the flop? God that seems weak tight.... But in low limit, with anybody playing Ax suited - its possible thier x gives them three of a kind.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:52 PM

My typical play of this hand:
Pre-Flop: Raise, as most other posters have mentioned.
Flop: Bet out with 1 or 2 opponents. Check, intending a check-raise, against 3 or more opponents. Re-raise any aggression shown against me.

Thinking: While you certainly may be against a 3, continuing to show aggression punishes overcards and small pocket pairs

Turn: Assuming I have 2 or more opponents, as you did, bet and fold to a raise.

Thinking: Any raises to my constant aggression displayed to this point suggest I'm dead in the water, and I get out

If your opponents displayed the same behavior they did in your case, my method of play would have resulted in me dropping on the turn, after losing an additional 3 BB (.5 for pre-flop raise, 1.5 for calling 3 flop raises, 1 for initial turn bet) relative to your play.

Then again, my early aggression may have slowed them down, allowing me to get to the river and win the pot, or possibly picking up the pot before showdown.

Hard to say, but I'm generally in favor of aggression on the cheap rounds of play at low-limit online tables.