Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2003, 02:50 AM

Default Was this Slowplay Correct?

Stars $1-$2 NL, 6 players fairly tight and aggressive table, not seeing many river cards.

I am UTG and get AJc, I raise to $6, all fold except CO who calls. Flop is KcTc7c. I check, CO checks. Turn is a non-club rag. Again I check and CO checks. River is Kd. I check and CO bets $6, I raise to $12, CO thinks for a minute and folds.

Did I play this hand too slowly? My thinking was that if I bet the flop he would probably fold (that was happening quite a bit at the time).

So, what do you guys think?
Old 11-15-2003, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Was this Slowplay Correct?

Your hand is made, and it is not vulnerable. Also, another card is possibly going to make a second-best hand. Add this to your description of the table as tight and aggressive, and I think your slowplay here made you an extra $6. It's possible you might have gotten called for one or two minimum bets, but that's all.

However, I would have just limped UTG. AJs in EP is good for its implied odds of hitting a flush. However, it can get you into troulbe if you only hit one pair. Raising here chases away the drawing hands that will pay you off, and only leaves the high cards and pairs that you are in trouble against.

Good Luck...
Old 11-15-2003, 08:00 PM

I think you should have just called on the turn, playing it even slower. You want your opponents to make a hand so that they will pay you off.

I flopped quads twice today and did just that in both cases, both times on the river my opponents went all in! This is rare and both were bluffs which makes it even rarer but you have to try and induce this to make any money when you have a made hand that isn't too vulnerable.

Jon
Old 11-15-2003, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should have just called on the turn, playing it even slower.

[/ QUOTE ]

He checked through the turn. How do you play it any slower than that?
Old 11-16-2003, 06:13 AM

He checked through the turn. How do you play it any slower than that?

Fold ? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

SF
Old 11-16-2003, 11:22 AM

read that wrong... play was perfect then, made as much money as possible
Old 11-16-2003, 12:17 PM

First, I want to disagree with AndrewP. Six-handed, AJs is (barely) strong enough for a raise here, though certainly not in a full game.

Re the slowplay: I don't hate it -- as has been pointed out, you have a very stong hand that is not very vulnerable. Only a set has a real chance of outdrawing you, and you are not going to push that out, anyway.

However, it still may not be the best play. What would you have done if you had, say, Ac Qd? Would you have bet out, here? I would try to make the same play with the nuts as I would with a strong draw. With your hand, the most common thing I would have done is to bet out on the flop, about 2/3 pot, then check the turn. If I win it on the flop, I would show it -- this provides cover for all the times that I bet out, then check, with a big draw.

Old 11-17-2003, 07:25 AM

You played it well, but perhaps a min. bet on the flop would be best, as it may induce a bluff.