Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2003, 03:11 PM

Default 5-5 Live Pot Limit at Foxwoods

This is the first of two hands I'll post about a 5-5 pot limit game I played at foxwoods during the World Poker Finals last year. This game was pretty loose and pretty aggresive. The chips were flying but no one was a total idiot. Just a good deal of old fashion gamblin. Anyways, the hand:

I'm in the BB with J9 suited, utg stradles for 10 (very common in the game). 4 more callers including the sb, and I call the extra 5. utg knuckles. 6 to the flop, pot is $60. Flop comes J 9 4 rainbow. Sb checks, your move?

I checked, planning on check raising. Checked to late position, who pots it. folded to me, you move?

I raised pot, putting $180 out there. Late position calls the bet. Turn comes a Jack, making me the nuts. Your move?

Results to follow.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:18 PM

Default Re: 5-5 Live Pot Limit at Foxwoods

You don't say how deep the stacks are but I will assume there is enough to cover at least most of one more bet. I think a check here just looks suspicious after check-raising the turn. I think you should just go ahead and bet and hope hes holding AJ or 99 or something else worth calling (or raising) with.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:27 PM

Default Re: 5-5 Live Pot Limit at Foxwoods

I raised pot, putting $180 out there. Late position calls the bet. Turn comes a Jack, making me the nuts. Your move?

Bet the pot. Hopefully he has AJ KJ JQ or J10 and will reraise you or pay you off.

He could even call with an overpair to the board and put you on running a bluff.

How deep were your stacks. That could also help in the decision making process.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:29 PM

Default How Deep we were.

Sorry for not posting how deep we were. It was over a year ago, so I'll try to get it right. I had about 800 left going to the turn and I think he had about 5 or 6 hundred.

If I bet on the turn, how much?
Old 11-14-2003, 03:59 PM

Default Re: How Deep we were.

I would think for a bit, then bet $100 -- a little over half the pot.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:04 PM

Default Re: How Deep we were.

[ QUOTE ]

I would think for a bit, then bet $100 -- a little over half the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the pot stands at $540. With $800 or so left, I think betting $400 is in order here. If he calls now he will have to call the river. If he raises you, you're all-in. If he folds, he folds, but having called a check-raise for $180 more a fold is unlikely I think.

Guy.