Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2003, 04:38 PM

Default Roy \"Ten Commandments\" Moore...

was ordered removed from office by the Alabama state Court of the Judiciary. Love him or hate him you just have got to be happy he will soon be a thing of the past!

Bye Bye Birdie
Old 11-13-2003, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Roy \"Ten Commandments\" Moore...

He'll be back in different clothing.

I will let others elaborate.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:42 PM

You mean reincarnated as a liberal politician? Yeah, I suppose it could be worse, he might have found this message board.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:49 PM

This one seemed like a pretty easy case. Part of his oath of office was to uphold the law. He willfuly disobeyed a valid court order (regardless of whether you agree that it was a "good" court order, it was a valid court order). Therefore, he should be removed.

I wonder how he would have responded if, in his court room, someone said that they would wilfully violate his orders because of religious convictions...I doubt that he'd say "okay then, go about your business."
Old 11-13-2003, 05:09 PM

That would depends on the which religion the lawbreaker had placed his/her faith in.
Old 11-13-2003, 05:39 PM

He ran on a pro Ten Commandments platform. That's it?
Old 11-13-2003, 05:48 PM

Nope, that isn't it. He erected a monument to the 10 commandments in the court rotunda (weighing several thousand pounds). A lawsuit ensued trying to get the monument removed. The US district court ordered the removal of the monument. The judge refused to remove it. The Court of Appeals ordered the removal of the monument and he still refused to remove it --- his collegues on the court overruled his decision to not remove the monument then had it removed.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:01 PM

Does anyone else find it ironic that very few of the 10 commandments which this judge argued are the foundation of our laws are actually laws that can be enforced??

1. I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me. <font color="blue"> Unconstitutional </font>

2. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain. <font color="blue"> Unconstitutional </font>

3. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them. <font color="blue"> Unconstitutional </font>

4. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. <font color="blue"> Unconstitutional </font>

5. Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long. <font color="blue"> No law against this... </font>

6. Thou shalt not kill. <font color="red"> Score 1 for the 10 commandments! </font>

7. Thou shalt not commit adultery. <font color="blue"> This one is fuzzy --- I think there are some states that have an adultery statute, though they are rarely, if ever, enforced </font>

8. Thou shalt not steal. <font color="red"> Go 10 commandments, go! </font>

9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour. <font color="red"> Again, fuzzy (perjury unlawful, but lying in general is okay) -- though I'll score this one for the 10 commandments </font>

10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor anything that is thy neighbor's.
<font color="blue"> Coveting is just fine --- no crime here </font>
Old 11-13-2003, 06:07 PM

Great analysis elwoodblues. I suppose 3 out of 10 isn't bad! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2003, 06:16 PM

Footnote: he lost his job because he ignored the Courts final ruling.

Alabama, now needs a new Supreme Court Chief Justice.