Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2003, 02:20 PM

Default AKs in BB

Loose, mostly passive 1/2. 10-handed.

I`m dealth A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in BB.
EP2 limps, EP3 raises, MP1 cold calls, button cold calls, SB completes, I 3-bet, EP2 folds, EP3 4-bet and everyone calls.
5 to the flop.

[7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] 10BB.
SB check, I bet and everyone calls.
5 to the turn

3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] 12 BB.
SB check, I bet and everyone calls.
5 to the river.

A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] 17 BB.
SB check, I bet, EP3 and MP 1 calls.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:25 PM

Default Re: AKs in BB

Well played!

I 3-bet w/AKs out of the BB when there is a family pot. When AKs hits, it hits big, so you get the money in preflop when there are multiple players that will call.

Nice hand, nice post, hope you pulled it off,
Joe Tall
Old 11-13-2003, 02:32 PM

Location: Poker is like sex, I have no idea what I am doing and most of the time it is done sitting infront of a computer by myself-NC

I would be very tempted to checkraise the flop with so many opponents, and maybe weed out some drawing hands...is that appropriate. once you bet the flop, is a check raise on the turn much harder to pull off?

I was thinking, a checkraise will probably not get rid of any hands due to the size of the pot already, but would it not be appropriate to pump the pot even more?
Old 11-13-2003, 02:38 PM

I also really like the 3-bet.

How about going for the checkraise on the flop? Or is straightforward play best a microlimits? Or does it scare off the calling stations and actually cost you money (the five calls on the turn and the two on the river)?

Do you checkraise on a more drawing oriented board to scare off/charge extra the drawers? Or do you checkraise to charge the dominated hands more? Or both? What are the appropriate conditions to checkraise this hand from BB?
Old 11-13-2003, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be very tempted to checkraise the flop with so many opponents

[/ QUOTE ]

Morg,

Did you notice how many callers Sab got on the flop and the turn? Why would you want to check-raise and possibly shut out many 1-bet callers? If you c/r this uncoordinated flop you represent your monster hand and players will fold. Some will become reluctant to call you down to the river and you will earn less.

[ QUOTE ]
and maybe weed out some drawing hands...is that appropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

What types of hands are drawing on a AT7r board? Not too many. Bet, bet, bet, worse hands will call.

[ QUOTE ]
once you bet the flop, is a check raise on the turn much harder to pull off?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are you so stuck pulling off a check-raise. Granted, when I was a new player, I LOVED to c/r, LOVED IT! Then I realized that I was losing potential callers that would not believe that my hand is a monster when I just bet it and then I started making more money in loose games.

[ QUOTE ]
but would it not be appropriate to pump the pot even more?

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't Sab get 5, FIVE!, callers to the river??!?!? How much bigger could the pot be?!?!?

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall
Old 11-13-2003, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you checkraise on a more drawing oriented board to scare off/charge extra the drawers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.

Read my post to morg.

Peace PN,
Joe Tall
Old 11-13-2003, 03:11 PM

If you three-bet preflop out of the BB and then check on an Axx board, your opponents will be likely to check the hand through if they don't have an Ace, which is a catastrophe (unless you somehow know that the SB will take a stab at it on the turn and you can then raise and face the field with two bet pressure). If someone does have an Ace, they will likely raise your flop bet, so I would bet out and hope to be raised so that I could three-bet. This will be more likely to clear out the field than a check-raise, and if it doesn't, you've set yourself up for a possible turn check-raise.

-- Homer
Old 11-13-2003, 03:12 PM

The thought occured to me, but unless the original pre-flop raiser had bet the flop, I`m not all that sure anyone else would`ve. And that is not good.

When someone is overly aggressive, many people at these limits (or maybe I should say this site) tend to turn into passive mode. Now we had two players raising and re-raising pre-flop, which would put lots of these players into this passive calling mode. As you saw. If I had knew the players better, check-raising would`ve been a preferable play, yes.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:17 PM

On these limits you won`t scare any drawing hand away. Most of them are not familiar with things such as pot odds. All they see is "There`s two hearts there, I have two too, a 9 and a 7!", sort of. I actually see these people raise with LOW flushed when they hit it on the river. Doesn`t matter if the board pairs. They will not fold.

But of course I prefer to c/r when there`s possible draws out there to at least make it more expensive for them. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-13-2003, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Morg,

Did you notice how many callers Sab got on the flop and the turn? Why would you want to check-raise and possibly shut out many 1-bet callers? If you c/r this uncoordinated flop you represent your monster hand and players will fold. Some will become reluctant to call you down to the river and you will earn less.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm... That is something I haven`t given much thought. Ah, always learn something new around here. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]