Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2003, 06:02 PM

Default Schoonmaker reveals mercenary S+M!!

In the current issue of Card Player, Alan Schoonmaker's excellent article on poker psychology revealed soemthing very interesting about HPFAP:

Apparently, the esteemed authors had originally wanted to entitle this lovely little romantic mystery story Holdem Poker For Professional Players, or Professional Holdem Poker or Texas Holdem Poker For Those Who Are Professionals, or something. You get the idea.

Anyway, the rationale behind adopting the eventual title of Holdem Poker For Advanced Players was, apparently, the fact that everyone believes he is an "advanced player."

Does this recently-revealed disingenuosity for the sake of book sales detract from the overall value of the masterwork itself?

Can we start a 12-Step program for those of us whose lives were shattered by the realization that we were mere dupes, nothing more than financial fodder for the mercenary and ruthless publishers who toyed with our emotions and bilked us out of our $39.95 plus S+H?

Guess I just had, like, a "recovered memory."
Old 11-07-2003, 08:29 PM

Default Re: Schoonmaker reveals mercenary S+M!!

[ QUOTE ]
Can we start a 12-Step program for those of us whose lives were shattered by the realization that we were mere dupes, nothing more than financial fodder for the mercenary and ruthless publishers who toyed with our emotions and bilked us out of our $39.95 plus S+H?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Rush:

You need to get your facts straight. We only bilked you out of $29.95 plus S&H, not the $39.95 that you list.

best wishes,
Mason
Old 11-07-2003, 09:18 PM

Looks like you missed a bet.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:14 PM

Damn, and I have three different versions of that book. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me; fool me three times, that's like getting check-raised on the flop, turn AND river!
Old 11-07-2003, 11:53 PM

Default Bilked again

[ QUOTE ]
We only bilked you out of $29.95

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps I was bilked too, Oh Great One. But if it hadn't said "advanced" on it I wouldn't have bought it cuz I was already advanced before I read it, just like everyone else.

The trickier question tho is how many had to go back and buy "hold'em poker" in order to understand the advanced book. Another one of your brilliant ploys, I'm sure, keeping them on the same shelf in the bookstore and all.

al
Old 11-08-2003, 04:38 PM

There's good news and bad news. The bad news: when Zee sells them out of the trunk of his '58 Eldorado, he charges $39.95. The good news: he doesn't charge shipping and handling.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:43 PM

Sure, but I checked "yes" on the box that asked if I'd like to contribute $10.00 to the "Poker Professionals Relief Fund," to aid in the recovery effort for those who lost their livelihoods when Phil Hellmuth quit playing in cash games.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:53 PM

Default Re: Bilked again

The trickier question tho is how many had to go back and buy "hold'em poker" in order to understand the advanced book

This is reminiscent of the Marx Bros. episode at the racetrack ("Getta you Tootsie Frootsie Ice-a Cream!!"), where Groucho has to keep buying more and more books to understand the esoteric handicapping system that he's trying to buy.

In fact, it's EXACTLY the same! Hey! [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2003, 01:02 PM

Default \"Poker Professionals Relief Fund\"

Now that I think about it ("advanced" player that I am) I believe I've been an unwitting, but dedicated, contibutor to the "Poker Professionals Relief Fund" for many, many years in a variety of ways.
Are there any benefits?
Can I get a receipts for income tax purposes?
When's the next book release due?

"In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is King."
Old 11-09-2003, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Bilked again

Hi Rush:

Actually I think it's more like the land auction in Coconuts where in an attempt to bid the price up Chico never stops bidding and buys every piece of property.

Best wishes,
Mason