Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2003, 05:00 PM

Default Grady succombs to the Curse

http://sports.excite.com/news/10272003/v1972.html

Don Zimmer is probably reavailable.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Grady succombs to the Curse

It was the only move the Sox could make that was fair to Grady.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:17 PM

...or to his own ineptness.

The pedro decision looks great if:
1) pedro doesn't grove the 0-2 fastball to matsui or
2) the great pitch pedro made to jam posada doesn't bloop into center.

Grady's firing may have been inevitable after the press made him the scapegoat for the game 7 loss, but the reality is the red sox overcame him for much of the season and post-season to make it to game 7 of the ALCS.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:24 PM

I live in Red Sox Nation. The press was fairly split on his decision. 2 of the more knowledgeable writers defended it. The fans are more lined up against him, and that's the key. If they kept him on he'd be in a completely untenable situation. First of all, the ballpark would collapse from the vibrations generated by the booing he'd get on opening day. Second, he'd be second-guessed worse than any manager from the beginning of the season. Management did the only thing it could do.

Personally, I thought he was out of gas in the 7th. Yeah he was hitting 94, but the ball was straight as a string and he had zero location control.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:38 PM

I know we've been over this ground before, but the only justification for keeping him in would be if he had no confidence in his relievers. But they had been handling the Yankees well.

0-2 on Jeter. Jeter doubles over Nixon's head. 1-2 on Williams. Williams lines a single to center. 0-2 on Matsui. Matsui lines a double down the line. At this point, seven of the previous nine hitters have gotten on base.

I don't see any controversy at all. There's no way the pitcher, no matter who it is, should stay in the game.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:42 PM

I don't see any controversy at all. There's no way the pitcher, no matter who it is, should stay in the game.

I agree with you. Some writers only remember that he struck out Soriano to end the 7th, not that the other 2 outs were hit just as hard as the hits.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:44 PM

Ignoring the game 7 pedro decision, did you think the sox were well managed during the postseason? I thought the sox's grit overcame Grady's ineptness, but then again, I am a Bill Simmons (the "sports guy" on ESPN.com who hates Grady) disciple, so maybe I am biased.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:53 PM

No, I don't think they were managed optimally in the post-season. There was never a reason for Todd Walker to sit in favor of Derek Lowe's personal 2nd baseman, and Nomar had no business staying in the 3 spot.

Old 10-27-2003, 07:02 PM

When the 2004 regular season is over, I think it's very likely quite a few stories will be written about how the Red Sox missed Grady Little's presence throughout the season. The Sox were not as good a team as their statistics and final record say they were. Little got the most, often career years, out of players who other teams didn't want. There are very good reasons why many Red Sox players publicly said they wanted Little back.

If there were no big public outcry to not pick up his option, the Red Sox would be far better off with Little as manager in 2004 than just about anybody I can think of.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There was never a reason for Todd Walker to sit in favor of Derek Lowe's personal 2nd baseman

[/ QUOTE ]

The Sox were doing that all year for very good reasons. Walker is a weak defensive second baseman and Lowe is a heavy groundout/flyout pitcher. Putting Jackson (or Mueller earlier in the year) at 2B was good. Walker wasn't going to be missed in the lineup.

When the Red Sox hitters slumped during the post-season, I thought Little made the right choice in keeping the hot Walker in the lineup full-time, even against left-handers who Walker hit very poorly in the regular season.

[ QUOTE ]
and Nomar had no business staying in the 3 spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shifting the lineup around is just panicked thinking.