Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2003, 06:42 PM

Default More debatable preflop raising!

1/2, $200 buy in. Most have it. I've just sat and got 66 in the BB. 6 limpers to me and i min raise.

Comments?
Old 10-26-2003, 06:44 PM

Default Re: More debatable preflop raising!

This raise i don't really like. I like it for some reasons, but dislike for stronger reasons, i'll give them later when others have posted.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:50 PM

There are 3 reasons to raise here.
1. You build the pot so if you hit your set you win a lot.
2. You set yourself up for a bluff on the flop, although this won't work much.
3. You create deception.

However, I do not like a raise here. The main reason is because if someone limp-reraises you, you have to fold.

Also, if you check, and the flop comes 6-rag-rag, you are in a great position to check-call the flop, and check-raise the turn, but if you raise preflop, this play loses it's value as people are less likely to bet into you.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:38 PM

Like a poster has said, reasons for raising include building a pot in hopes you hit your set, and setting up a bluff at the flop.

I think both are out of the question, perhaps you could argue for either point if you had position, but you're out of position -- I think you check down your option, see the flop, and get out cheaply if you miss.

Now, if you had position, I think a raise would be ok for the reasons stated above.

just my opinion..
Old 10-26-2003, 08:58 PM

Small pocket pairs are a hand in which position matters this much:

| <---> | imagine a bug's penis for an actual sized drawing.

But when most players slowplay their set, it matters this much:

| <-------> |
Old 10-26-2003, 09:52 PM

From my personal experiences, I do not like to min raise any hand after limpers. The only time i will min raise is when I'm first to open. The reason why i don't like that play is because some shortstaked idiot might raise all-in on an attempt to buy the pot, causing you to fold.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:30 PM

When you're talking about raising your small pocket pairs and the reasons for doing this, position matters a lot more than you think(obviously)
Old 10-26-2003, 11:51 PM

Default pointless, I don\'t like it

in a limit game, sure, perhaps a value raise is in order now and again when there's six or more limpers. But in NL you are asking to get reraised BIG, and in these online games, there are plenty of idiots out there who will limp-reraise with AQ, JJ, 88, 33, A7o, etc, in ADDITION to any legit limp-reraisers with AA or KK who might be out there. Tho you might be ahead of them, you're sure going to hate it when you have to make a decision for a big raise because you couldn't leave well enough alone and just take the friggin' free play already.

Small pairs should either lose you a LITTLE or win you a LOT. Both those options are in jeopardy when you get burned by getting fancy in NL with small pairs.

al
Old 10-27-2003, 04:12 AM

Small pocket pairs are a hand in which position matters this much:

| <---> | imagine a bug's penis for an actual sized drawing.

I'm laughing, but I am disagreeing too.

Position is pretty important with small pocket pairs. This is actually a key example of one of the benefits of position with a good hand.

If you hit your set, in position you can see more readily how to play it. For example, in the BB, do you check or bet out? You don't want everyone to fold but you'd like to get money in the pot early because you don't want them sniffing your huge hand when you reveal your slowplay. Hmmmm not sure what to do. On the button you can make a more informed decision. If people are getting interested in the pot, put some chips in; if not, maybe let them catch up a little.

Can't tell you the number of times it has come A-6-3 and everyone has folded to a bet. Boo.

But, as usual, I don't quite see what you're getting at, Jay, so can you elaborate some more? Why does other players' propensity to slowplay make position more important?

Guy.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:29 AM

Fark. Where did i meantion my reasons for raising? The only reason it could matter is setting me up for a postflop steal and min betting and having the whole table recall isn't going to set me up for anything.