Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2003, 03:31 AM

Default Party $25 NL Holdem hand help

I'm ($24.50) UTG+1 and get AhJc. UTG calls, I raise to 2.50, EMP calls, MP($43.50) calls, LP calls.
Flop: 7d 9s Jd
I bet 6, MP calls.
Turn: 5d
I bet 4, MP raises to 8, I call
River: 6s
I check, MP bets 8, I call all-in

Second hand I'm($85) in EP and get dealt AdQc, I open for 2 and get 2 callers, MP and BB($38)
Flop: Ac 3d 9s
BB checks, I bet 3, BB raises to 9, I call
Turn: Js
BB bets 15, I go all-in
Old 10-25-2003, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Party $25 NL Holdem hand help

I think you over played your hands. I recomend that you read a book about big bet poker, because if you don't understand why you over played your hands, then you must be missing many more basic concepts in your game. I don't meen to sound condesending, but knowing not to raise with AJs in EP is like catching a ball with 2 hands. It is a fundamental part of the game. Now if you are playing against advanced players, and your trying to disguise your raise values, then sure.....

AeonBlues
Old 10-25-2003, 08:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but knowing not to raise with AJs in EP is like catching a ball with 2 hands.
AeonBlues

[/ QUOTE ]

If i was in EP after 1 limper i'd raise AJs as high as 60% of the time, with intentions of only the limper calling.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:07 PM

What book do you suggest?
Old 10-25-2003, 08:13 PM

I don't think you over played it. You just held on too long and missed aggression on the flop. You should overbet this flop unless you are in a tricky game with a deep stack and would fold to a raise. Check out the post asking for Ray Zee

You need to charge more on the flop, you also need to be done with your hand at least by the river. Soon as you get played back on with TPTK you need to start thinking fold.

Hand 2 i don't understand why you played it like this. Was the flop call a smooth call? Or was the turn a bluff?

Myself i would have reraised the flop if he comes back again i'm done and he has A9 or a fast played set (unlikely). Your turn play is awful, that jack is an awful card for you, assuming he has the ace as well giving him some standards there is now only AT you can beat.
Old 10-25-2003, 08:15 PM

Super System for the beginner, it covers everything. Ciaffone for the level after that.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:07 AM

Yah, but you play with the patients of of a wound up 4 year old, on captain crunch. There's a concept in NL, that you can wait for a even better bet, then you increase your over all EV.

AeonBlues
Old 10-26-2003, 02:15 AM

My faveorate NL book is 'Championship No-Limit & Pot Limit Hold'em' by T.J.Cloutier. He specializes in the "Not going broke all the time" school of poker, which is nice on us players that work off of a tight bankroll.

I own Reuben & Ciaffone's book "Pot-Limit and No-Limit Poker", and it's good too.

Just to point out both authers agree that AQ is a bad hand to play from early position. Cloutier says he chucks AQ under the gun, even when it's suited, like that does any good. But like I said, he's in the not going broke school of poker.

AeonBlues

AeonBlues
Old 10-26-2003, 08:48 AM

How does waiting for a better place to bet increase your overall EV!? It doesn't.

These other hands are EV and can be played to gain a bigger EV. Meanwhile the advertising of being aggressive with these hands will get you even more EV on the hands you sit and wait for. While anyone with any sense in your game will throw most hands when you finally finish waiting.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:51 AM

I agree that in his games he should throw AQ in early position. Due to position matters a lot more in his games, he'll have players who can take shots at him with draws and lesser hands on the flop and he is capable of folding AQ top pair.

He also wont want to get deep with this hand a lot; even though preflop he knows he has the best hand 75% of the time; EP he doesn't have much say in that.

I'm wondering why he doesn't include AK.

However, up to 10/20 NL i'm yet to find this game.