Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2001, 09:38 AM

Default backing off and then firing again...

I get Js-3h in the big blind..

5 limp

FLOP:

8s-Jh-Jd

i check, all check to button, button bets, i check raise, a middle pos. player cold calls(ruh-roh shaggy!), button calls.

TURN:

8s-Jh-Jd--Kc

I bet, middle raises, button folds, i call.

Here I figure he's on 8-8, maybe J-9s,J-T, or J-Q... big J's he probably woulda raised with pre-flop, and I don't think he'd play J-8s! So, on the river I will pound if I hit a 3, check and call anything else. I have probably 4 or 8 outs to a split, and 4 winners.

RIVER:

8s-Jh-Jd--Kc--3d

YES!

i bet, he raises, i re-raise, he caps, i win and drag a 20 BB pot! He had (an overplayed) 8-8.

I thought the fact that I bet out on the river after backing off on the turn screams "YAHOO! I JUST HIT MY 3-OUTER!". Apparently not.

I have seen this many times, another example from the other night.

A whole buncha people see the flop...

FLOP:

Q-7-Q

my buddy(who doesnt understand relative hand values, and will go to war with a 7 on a board of A-7-7--A) so he and some guy go to war and my buddy caps the flop...

TURN:

Q-7-Q--x

the guy checks and calls the turn.

RIVER:

Q-7-Q--x--8

the guy now bets, my buddy raises (my stomach turns), guy re-raises, my buddy pops it again(ugh!), guy raises again, buddy finally gets a clue and calls...

I thought that it was obvious he/I just spiked the kicker given the action. What do you think?
Old 08-30-2001, 09:42 AM

Default P.S.

buddy had Q-7

guy had Q-8 (and slow-rolled him only showing the 8, and then spreading to show the Q)
Old 08-30-2001, 11:36 PM

Default Re: backing off and then firing again...

I think a lot of times someone will fall in love with their hand and put in so many raises that you would think either A) he's got you beat; or B) he's fallen in love with his hand and isn't thinking too clearly. You see B a lot, even in big games.